[#1]
Try Zak-Smith I would think he has.

MT
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
my friend uses one on his dpms lr-308
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The adjustable gas block was meant to be used with JP lightweight bolt carrier (competition use only) for fine tuning of bolt speed.  However, it is not something the standard 20" AR with std bolt carrier should use.  My JP CTR-02 upper comes with one, but I don't use the adjustable feature (it now runs wide open) since I found out that it causes FTF's with 40 rds or 30 rds. full magazines.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
As bravo5two alluded, the adj gas block was designed to allow use of a lighter bolt carrier.

Even in this application, opinion is split as to whether or not it's worthwhile.   In my CTR-02 with the low-mass carrier, I run with the gas "wide open" (full gas) in order to reduce the cycle time as much as possible.  It is possible to have this setup run reliably as long as I don't load more than 28 rounds in a mag, and I keep the gun clean.   If those two conditions are met, it's worth it in competition.   (ETA: the third condition is good mags.  USGI bodies, newish springs, and Magpul followers work well.)

Others believe in reducing the gas pressure so the rearward "jolt" as the buffer bottoms out is even less, but the cycle time will be more normal then.  

I would not use an adj gas block in a gun that was to be used for self-defense.  If the adjustment screw falls out, you are screwed.

-z

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Great info in this thread.

Thanks Guys.

MT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top