Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 3:02:04 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone had experience with stainless steel lowers? About the only company I find that makes them is DPMS Panther Arms. Havent found many pictures of them either. What are your thoughts on them? The idea intrigues me btu the price infuriates me.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a SS DPMS lower.

It's a cast part, so the mag fence is different and the surface has a different texture than forged alluminum.

There is a noticeable weight difference.

It's not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard the the SS lowers are really only worth the extra weight and strength if you are building  for a heavy caliber type upper like a .50 Beowulf, .499 L&W, .458 SOCOM etc... and feel the need for the added strength, ...otherwise I can't see and advantage.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
When you guys say "Stainless Steel" don't you mean polished aluminium? Or are these particular recievers you guys mentioned made out of steel?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
AR15 receivers have been mad of aluminum, titanium, stainless steel, and carbon fiber or an aramid/carbon fiber composite. Injection molded plastic also.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I left out Beryllium Copper. OAI did some up with this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top