Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 1:47:22 PM EDT
Can someone help me out? The "locking lug" on the buffer tube is different than the ones on my Bushy and Colt. Damn thing doesn't want to budge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean the castle nut?  Do you have the right wrench for it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't sure what that part was called, but I'm sure we're talking about the same thing. The nut on my other two AR's have the notches at the end of the nut, but the KAC one only has a small hole in the center of the nut located at the 9 o'clock position. The wrench I tried was basically a handle with a "C" hook at the end. I've used it several times on my other ARs, but this time no budge...

Thanks for the reply,
John
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
F' it, get out the channel locks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, I tried the vice grips and beat on it with a hammer with no freakin luick.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#6]
A little heat on the nut might help in anycase.  The wrench I use is just a head that attaches to a standard square drive.  It has one replaceable tooth which is round stock and fits the KAC hole perfectly.  It's taken off more than one Colt staked nut with ease and no assistance other than a bit more pressure.

In anycase, the nuts are cheap - just use some channel locks and some heat if need be, then replace it.

ETA: pic of the tool I use.  Cool things are that it easy to use with a torque wrench if that's your bag, and the tooth is not only easily replaceable, it can be custom ground/profiled as it's just a pin held in with a set screw.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Heat was the trick. Thanks for all the help.

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top