Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 9:53:43 AM EDT
i am looking at getting a 16"CAR kit from a reputable and respected dealers and have a choice i need to make.  

i asked how much for chrome lining and it is $50, the same price as getting a ss barrel.  my config will be the 16"CAR, FF, Flat Top with A2 FSB.  i live in the Phx, AZ area so there is basically no rain/humidity and i keep my weapons clean.  this will be my first ar and i will not be shooting past 100yds with irons or 200yds with optics.  the other difference is that the ss barrel is 1:8 and the chrome lined is 1:9.  i will probably be shooting a lot of 55grn(m193) and 62grn(m855) military ammo through it.  i don't know if 1:8 is too fast for 55grn or if it would be borderline.  also, i am looking for 1-2MOA.

should i go chrome lining or ss?  i will be going one way or the other.

thanks for the opinions ;)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Go chrome. You'll be happy you did. $50 more is well worth it in my opinion.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go chrome. You'll be happy you did. $50 more is well worth it in my opinion.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply, i reread my original question and i realized i didn't ask my question.  it is i am going to go either chrome line or ss, but which one?  they are the same price

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, I probably just misunderstood.

I'd still go chrome though.

But that's just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like you're ordering from RRA. I have an RRA SS 16" and it is one massive and heavy barrel. I'll probably end up sending it to Adco and have them reprofile it since it's gotta weigh 3 lbs.+ (my upper alone is over 7 lbs.). For your ranges, yeah, I agree, go with chrome.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
at what range would a 16" ss barrel be beneficial?  is it more when you get into the 20"+ barrels?  also, why are the ss so heavy?  are the chome moly barrels just that much stronger so you would need less material?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
chrome is going to last you alot longer too.

Remman
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It's nice to be able to shoot 75-77gr loads, for longer range target or self-defense.  In this case, that means choosing the 1:8" SS over the 1:9 (which cannot shoot 75-77's accurately).

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Stainless is chosen for target bull barrels due to machining characteristics.  

But you can also find stainless in the same contours as chrome moly (lined or unlined) barrels.  Check the Olympic Arms catalog.  For a given contour, there is no difference in weight.

Since you live in a dry area, a chrome moly would do fine for your intended usage, as would stainless.  I don't know how much longer a chrome lined is supposed to last, it would all depend on how you shot the rifle.  Really heating it up with full auto fire would certainly affect it.  In that usage chrome would likely outlast CM and SS.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the info, no full auto, just range/desert stuff.  probably atmost 500 rounds/month with most months being quite a bit less

is 1:8 ok for 55 & 62gr also?

also, theoretically how far can 16" reach, taking the shooter out of the equation?  200yds?  300yds?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
thanks for the info, no full auto, just range/desert stuff.  probably atmost 500 rounds/month with most months being quite a bit less

also, theoretically how far can 16" reach, taking the shooter out of the equation?  200yds?  300yds?

Yes, 1:8 is fine for 52gr - 77gr.

The team that won the ITRC (Int'l Tactical Riflmen Championships) this year shot a 16" Rock River SS 1:8" carbine, with 52gr handloads.  Those shots were to about 350 yards on targets 1/4 - 1/2 the side of a silhouette.

-z
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, 1:8 is fine for 52gr - 77gr.

The team that won the ITRC (Int'l Tactical Riflmen Championships) this year shot a 16" Rock River SS 1:8" carbine, with 52gr handloads.  Those shots were to about 350 yards on targets 1/4 - 1/2 the side of a silhouette.

-z

thanks ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top