Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 5:12:10 PM EDT
Here's a picture of my recent build of an old school "walking varminter" with a Colt 1/12 Med. Wt. tube that is not even free floated, and shoots as well or better than my Rem 700VS bolt gun.

Don't laugh, here's the 200 yard target.

So WHY am I building an SPR???

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to look at my screen funny to see the holes. I thought you had a  clean target and were being a smartass

Nice shooting, but the SPR is cool too. Get both
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle, and damn nice group!

Quoted:
So WHY am I building an SPR???
Paladin

10.  Because you want one
9.  You have an extra spring looking for a new rifle
8.  Bling factor
7.  2 legged varmints at 600+ meters
6.  Because you can
5.  That tight ass group will be one hole
4.  You make too much $$$ (where is that guy that works for the Fed. Reserve?)
3.  [highlander] There can be only one hole
2.  You like Wes Grant, and have SPR envy
1.  Society for Psychophysiological Research?????
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#7]
SPR clone at 100yds:

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
9.  You have an extra spring looking for a new rifle

Been there, done that.  "Well, heck, it's half built..."  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:45:01 AM EDT
[#9]
But what kind of a barrel?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#10]
"SPR" reality check.

The barrel I used is not expensive or on perpetual backorder, rather it is readily available @$200.  Chrome lined too!  This "build" has AT LEAST $700 less invested than any SPR, and is delivering close to 1/2 MOA with white box discount ammo at 200 yards, the longest range I have available.

The point I was trying to infer was whether the expensive COSMETIC mods are really needed or cost effective to achieve good results.  I have just about completed a 1/7 SPR-type build also, and will be able to shoot the uppers side by side for comparison, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT my personal groups will get much smaller, regardless of how much cash I throw at the situation...

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I see the SPR as a good way to cash in by selling overpriced add-ons and accessories you don't need.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
With my A2 20" rifle I added a national match front sight post and an RRA trigger (mine came with two stages ).  At 200 yards my groups are just peachy. One day I'll throw a 3X24 ACOG on my carry handle.  I have absolutely no need for an SPR.  But they do look cool I guess.  In Maine everything is under 300 yards, mostly under 150.

I've always been on the side of the fence that magnified optics are only useful for extended ranges and that AR's are best suited for lightweight and accurate shooting 0-200 yards.  Which is why my M4gery has an Aimpoint.  If I ever needed to reach out past 200 yards to hit something, I'd just go and grab my almighty 270 with a 3X9 Accupoint and drop my target like a soggy loaf of bread.

YMMV, but I will sign the petition that SPR's look sweet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
YMMV, but I will sign the petition that SPR's look sweet.

I'll admit this is one of the reasons why mine exists, but it performs very well at 100, 200 and 600 yds.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#14]
The retro 1/12 varminter will eventually  have a much more compact 2x7 Leupold mounted, and all I want from it is decent accuracy out to 200 yards on coyote, deer, and zombie sized targets, and the confidence of knowing hits at 300 are a certainty, and 400 very likely!  Did I mention how much LIGHTER it is than a "tricked out" rifle with bipod?  The BM lower holds a RRA NM trigger group that breaks at 40 ounces!

The almost complete SPR clone is 1/7, the buis(arms 40a2) is coming next week, the rings are "out for delivery" riding around in the brown truck right now!  Scope to be used is undetermined right now, the 10X Leupold's are way more scope than I need, and the Burris 3x9 ballistic plex looks worth a try.

I've learned a lot here in the last few months, and am willing to try new things for myself.  But I try to stay pragmatic about what is a true "improvement", versus what is window dressing.  Guys with families and budget constraints deserve to know there are alternatives to the megabuck builds we all dig.

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]
PALADIN,
The "walking varminter" is a very useful configuration that seems to have be overlooked these days in favor of the heavier, clumbsier variations.  I have a plan to build one very similar to yours except with an inexpensive free-float tube.  All my AR's wear a 16" barrel at the present time, but a lightweight 20" tube is in order for varmint slaying with the light bullets.  for this application a barrel without a flash hider is fine.  I see in your photo that it looks like you kept the bayonette lug.  Way to go!  You never know when you might run in to one of those three story tall Jila Monsters and need to fight your way out with the bayo!  Skeeter would have liked that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#17]
peer pressure.  all the cool kids are doing it now    
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
thats still very impressive to do that at 600m... that your moa is holding true out to that far... excellent... i want an SPR now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top