Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 1:06:38 PM EDT
I am building an a1 sight upper to go on my eagle/armalite lower and wanted suggestions on
best source/brand.  I was looking at cmmg, dpms and bushmaster.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, niether DPMS nor Bushie are actually selling A1 uppers.  What they are selling is a version of the Canadian C7 upper, which has A1 type sights, but has the later ejection hump. Can't speak about the CMMG piece, since I haven't seen one.

As to the difference between the DPMS version and the Bushie piece, get the cheaper one.  Why?  Because they are exactly the same.

Same forge mark.  Same slightly tight channel for the cocking handle.  Same tool marks on the inside. Bushie does spray the inside of theirs with a dry lube, but that soon wears off, so unless they're within a couple of bucks of each other, go for price.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got some old Colt ones and a couple from CMMG (I really like A1 uppers....).  The CMMG ones are peachy!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I know they are not true a1, I just wanted the sight style
sounds like  I should just check prices, thanks for the input
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Actually, niether DPMS nor Bushie are actually selling A1 uppers.  What they are selling is a version of the Canadian C7 upper, which has A1 type sights, but has the later ejection hump. Can't speak about the CMMG piece, since I haven't seen one.

As to the difference between the DPMS version and the Bushie piece, get the cheaper one.  Why?  Because they are exactly the same.

Same forge mark.  Same slightly tight channel for the cocking handle.  Same tool marks on the inside. Bushie does spray the inside of theirs with a dry lube, but that soon wears off, so unless they're within a couple of bucks of each other, go for price.

DPMS also sells one witout the "ejection hump".
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
While you are building up your A1 upper, which I really like for it's KISS factor, I suggest this:

(1) Substitute A2 rear sight blade.  The A1 and A2 sight blades are interchangable, and the large hole of the A2 is MUCH faster for quick target acquisition at closer ranges.

(2) Make sure you have a square A2 front sight post, not the round A1 post.  The square post gives a sharper image.

(3) Toss the stock windage drum, and substitute a Rapidex Windage Knob.  This makes is far easier to adjust the rear sight.

Ultimate in KISS, but gives excellent real world performance and utility.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I suggest Ashley Outdoors same plane rear sight. It has bigger than A2 small and large peeps, and they are on the same plane.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
cool, wasn't sure what was interchangeable - where do I find a rapidex windage knob?
is it the same as the knob dpms sells.

Thanks for input
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, DPMS, Bushmaster, and others sell the Rapidex knob.

The Ashley Same Plane would also be a good rear sight blade.

The A2 blade gives you a little bit of elev adjustment.  If you would zero with the large aperture at 50 yds, you could then shoot that from 0-275 yrd.  Then flip to the small aperture for 300 yds+.  Past 350 yds, call in an airstrike.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I got my DPMS A1/C7 upper from CMMG, and it has the same Anchor Harvey forge mark as the Bushmaster uppers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DPMS also sells one witout the "ejection hump".

Only the DPMS uppers w/o the forward assist don't have the hump.  If it's an "A1" type, it has the hump, and it's a C7 style. And if it doesn't have a forward assist, it's not an "A1 type"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top