Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 9:51:18 PM EDT
While ogleing my AR, I noticed there is wear in the inside of the upper reciever by the 'bump' on the left side, where the bolt cam rotates.  I'm assuming it is the bolt cam hitting the reciever body.  What was a parkerized 90 degree corner, is now a beveled, shiney corner.  Normal?  The upper  is a complete upper from RRA, and is 16" midlength.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it is perfectly normal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, I have found that the looped head of the firing pin retaining pin sometimes doesn't seat completely below the surface of the bolt carrier.  It is possible that this is what's producing the wear.

If I have one that's doing that, I just replace the pin (it's dirt cheap).

It really isn't a problem, but I'm anal enough to replace the pin anyway.  I don't like wear that is unnecessary...

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Also, I have found that the looped head of the firing pin retaining pin sometimes doesn't seat completely below the surface of the bolt carrier.  It is possible that this is what's producing the wear.

If I have one that's doing that, I just replace the pin (it's dirt cheap).

It really isn't a problem, but I'm anal enough to replace the pin anyway.  I don't like wear that is unnecessary...

Just a thought, but if you replace everything that shows wear, you aren't going to have a weapon that is broken in, you also won't fix any potential problems.  

Diagnose, then replace if needed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Been there, done that, got the pics to prove it...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=203124
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top