Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 5:40:22 PM EDT
What about using graphite in an M16 -- with the theory being it will not freeze and will not attract dirt? What is the downside? Does it not stay in place? Does it not lube as well as oil?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
NO
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard graphite lube and aluminum are bad combo.  A chem/metal expert will probably pipe up in a minute.

I have used graphite on my 10-22 while hunting in winter.  Worked for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Graphite is hygroscopic (absorbs water) and will contribute to corrosion. Not for use on weapons.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Graphite is hygroscopic (absorbs water) and will contribute to corrosion. Not for use on weapons.

how is it if you live in an extremly dry environment?  what lube would you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

or for sexual intentions
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or for sexual intentions

Any negative lasting effects from doing this????

Maybe I need to go to the doc...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been using to good effect, a spray molybdenum disulphide compound called "MsMoly".  I use it on the bolt carrier and trigger components.  On my AR10, the only thing I've been oiling is a few drops on the gas seal rings on the bolt.  

moly is chemically inert with high heat resistance.

Problem with graphite is, first, it attracts moisture, second, it partially burns and leaves abrasive clinkers if it anywhere in the high temperature areas of the rifle -- bolt face, chamber, bore.

my $.02

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok. I will stick with Mobil-1.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Mobil-1???

I'm just an FNG to these parts, but, umm....Why?

IMHO-
StrikeHold is the newest thing the US Army has approved.
Hoppes Oil is good.
CLP works just fine.
TW-25b is MilSpec and better.
Disotech and Armadillo from Novum Solutions is preferred.

For dry climates, like here in Iraq where I currently am, the Strike Hold has worked well so far, but I have had phenominal results with the Armadillo and Disotech.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW- Sorry about the hijack without an answer-

Rock Island Arsenal, Picatinny Arsenal, TACOM, CECOM and basically all of the factory reps tell us that between the steel in the bolt and alumn reciever, there is a galvanic reaction with the introduction of graphite. The second reason is, the graphite pulls moisture from the humidity in the air, forming a sludge-like mess. Later is dries into a cake, and acts as an abrasive.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, graphite is a bad thing for weapons, especially aluminum parts of weapons.

Mobil 1 actually works very well.  It is designed to lubricate well under high temp conditions plus it has detergent additives that are meant to dissolve carbon deposits.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Moly attracts water too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#13]
My problem with graphite is that it's too messy.  Let's just say I dropped some on the carpet and found out the hard way.  It was a problem just getting it off my hands.  Can't say whether it provided enough lubrication for the things I've used it for.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]
n/t
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Galvanic corrosion?

Graphite + aluminum+ moisture = Galvanic corrosion?

Help me here.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't galvanic corrosion caused by a chemical reaction between two dissimilar metals?

I've also heard that graphite is a no-no on firearms becaue it sucks up moisture.  Boresnake, CLP, an old PT shirt and a toothbrush is all I ever needed
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#18]
break-free
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:36:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Galvanic corrosion?

Graphite + aluminum+ moisture = Galvanic corrosion?

Help me here.

Danny

Combined with the steel bolt, Yes.

jmz5-Yes, Breakfree CLP is OK, but IMHO, it's a 3-in-1 solution that doesn't really excell much in any of the three catagories.........

Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top