Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 5:27:31 PM EDT
I have ran across an upper with a 14.5" barrel with a Phantom, but the Phantom is not permanatly attached. I know this must be done to avoid the SBR issue, and was just wondering how it is done, and what the cost might be.  I have not purchased the upper and wanted to know so I could figure that into the price.  Thanks!!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Run a drill in till it hits the threads on the barrel, then plug it with a blind pin. Weld the top of the pin, grind down the pin and tack, refinish.

ADCO is a good place to do this. I can't remember how much they charge.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect, Thanks!!  BTW $36

One other question, if I purchase the upper and it is delivered to me, am I at that point in possession of an SBR?  So I guess I have to immediatley send the upper out for "repair"  is that correct?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Its only an SBR if you put it together. Although having it around the house could be interpreted as "intent to manufacture". Just don't tell anyone about it and don't delay in shipping it in. or have the vendor ship it straight to the smith.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Got it, thanks again.  You have been most helpful!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried to do that with my Vortex.  The f/s has WAY to much temper in it.  I broke the tip of the punch off and had to dig chunks out of my hand.  I decided to use a mig welder to tack it on.  Hey it worked did'nt it?

I would recomend having a pro do it unless you want to make a drill jig to keep the bit from wandering.

(or a mig welder...)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I tried to do that with my Vortex.  The f/s has WAY to much temper in it.  I broke the tip of the punch off and had to dig chunks out of my hand.  I decided to use a mig welder to tack it on.  Hey it worked did'nt it?

I would recomend having a pro do it unless you want to make a drill jig to keep the bit from wandering.

(or a mig welder...)

I had the same issue with my Vortex and used a mill to drill/tap the hole.  The Vortexed seemed to be hardened all the way through, versus surface hardened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top