Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 4:18:18 PM EDT
I am building a .50 Beowulf specific LOWER, what would I use to reduced REDCOIL? I would be using  a ARFX A2 stock - perhaps a HEAVIER buffer for starters?

Any tried and proven methods?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Recoil pad, for sure.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Recoil pad, for sure.

Is there such a thing for AR's, a recoil pad?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Recoil pad, for sure.

Yeah, they slip on, although you may be able to rig something nicer up for an ARFX stock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody have the muzzle break on theirs? does it work? I just got a 16 inch beowulf upper and its a hand ful with factory 334gr, also anybody have any reloading data for H110 powder?

Thanks
Paul.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anybody have the muzzle break on theirs? does it work? I just got a 16 inch beowulf upper and its a hand ful with factory 334gr, also anybody have any reloading data for H110 powder?

Thanks
Paul.

I'm having mine MAGNAPORTED - negative on the reloading, I have no info. I indend to use it for hunting so I won't be reloading and I won't be shooting it that much at the bench.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Go on down to the AR Variant topic for more info.  Some folks are getting good results using 5.5 ounce tungsten buffers and Wolff +10% springs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I just built a lower for an ARFCOM member.  This man was the biggest man I ever met in person and he told me that the .50 Beuwolf kicked his ass.  If a man this large says it kicks ass, I guess it does.  Anyway, the lower he had me build had an ACE ARFX stock, with the recoil pad and he also installed the MGI rate and recoil reducing buffer system, in an attempt to tame the recoil.  He also brough along some .50 Beuwolf rounds to show me.  WOW, those rounds are BIG.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Would the lower last under stress like this?

Has anyone done any extended testing on this round.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

AA has shot them auto, and I am sure they have at least one with a high round count. I have never heard of problems.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that Cav Arms has one that was on their polymer lower with a sear in it.....no issues AFAIK.

Thanks. I should be shooting one as soon as the Houston crew receive their upper.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I've found the Ace stock the most comfortable with my 458 SOCOM, since it has the nice mushy rubber pad.  On my M93A, I had to sandpaper the edges smooth, and the moment a buttpad becomes available, I'm getting one.

I think the main thing is to SNUG THAT BIATCH INTO YOUR SHOULDER.  A loose fit will send your rifle back with a sharp impulse.  A big bore AR is no sissy gun!

The bruise is just a right of passage anyway.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I have never experienced such a painful gun as the .458 Socom. Or was it a .475 Tremor? I can't remember. It made the .50 AE I had shot just prior feel gentle!

That was Gunstock 03. For fun, see if Mojo remembers the look on my face when I took that back to the table.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]
The tungsten buffer is NOT the same as the MGI, correct? The MGI is ~150.00?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's a link to some good info.
Covers about all the options so far people have tried on the 'wulf.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=202677

If you can't find an answer there ther's plenty of guys with big bore AR's that can help you out.
All you have to do is ask.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I would suggest going with a tight fitting lower (such as new RRA lowers that seem to have a tight fit to most uppers).  I would think it best with the level of recoil generated to not have play between the upper and lower (my opinion, not based on any actual facts!).

Also, go with an Ace buttstock with recoil pad.  I shoot my 10mm AR quite a bit and it actually has a bit of a kick (blowback operated) when handloaded hot.  The Ace stock with pad makes extended shooting sessions more enjoyable.

Scot
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#20]
The MGI RRB buffer is excellent with the 50 Beowulf, and there are several AR15.com members using it with good results on their 'Wulfs.

The MGI buffer has tungsten weights inside, and is similar in weight to the 9mm "B" heavy buffer(7 oz.). However that's where any similarities end.
The MGI RRB, has reciprocating weights inside, which are actuated by a short plunger on the rear end of the buffer. When the plunger hits the back of the buffer tube, it sends the tungsten weights forward inside the RRB buffer body, and the weights "hit" the reaward moving buffer just before it contacts the back of the buffer tube. This "hit" cancels most of the recoil impulse that would otherwise be delivered to your shoulder by the rapidly moving heavy buffer.
The result is much lower recoil, reduced muzzle flip, better reliability, and less likelihood of any battering effects on the rifle.
It installs just like any other buffer.

Yes, the MGI RRB is not cheap, but it is real good.
If you want the best there is available to reduce your recoil, improve your control, and save battering on your weapon, the MGI does it better than anybody.

Tom Lyons
MGI Factory Sales

email me with any questions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The MGI RRB buffer is excellent with the 50 Beowulf, and there are several AR15.com members using it with good results on their 'Wulfs.

The MGI buffer has tungsten weights inside, and is similar in weight to the 9mm "B" heavy buffer(7 oz.). However that's where any similarities end.
The MGI RRB, has reciprocating weights inside, which are actuated by a short plunger on the rear end of the buffer. When the plunger hits the back of the buffer tube, it sends the tungsten weights forward inside the RRB buffer body, and the weights "hit" the reaward moving buffer just before it contacts the back of the buffer tube. This "hit" cancels most of the recoil impulse that would otherwise be delivered to your shoulder by the rapidly moving heavy buffer.
The result is much lower recoil, reduced muzzle flip, better reliability, and less likelihood of any battering effects on the rifle.
It installs just like any other buffer.

Yes, the MGI RRB is not cheap, but it is real good.
If you want the best there is available to reduce your recoil, improve your control, and save battering on your weapon, the MGI does it better than anybody.

Tom Lyons
MGI Factory Sales

email me with any questions.

Well I can tell you that it really works!  Shot the beowulf and its much more tame after installing the MGI...By the way I'm the person that Mongo built the lower for.  Which is a RRA too....I'm no puss, it just kicked my ass for some reason...but thats now a thing of the past

Bigant
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Recoil pads are for sissies!  I shoot mine with my RRA collapsible stock.  I really does thump though.  Especially when shooting it off a bench.  I am in the process of building a dedicated lower for mine with my old ACE stock.  Seems the ACE stock does absorb more of the recoil.  Won't get a MB i would rather have a bruised shoulder that contend with the excessive noise.  A can would be nice though!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I put my 'wulf upper on a RRA lower. The RRA had the tightest fit of the 3 I tried (Oly, Bushmaster and RRA)- I had to tap the damn thing into place! So far, I've got about 450 rounds through the gun, with no sign of loosening (I still have to tap it into place). Even with this fit, I still put in an Accu-wedge, though.

I use the 5.5 tungsten buffer and +10 spring in a standard stock with good results, no muzzle brake (they're too damn LOUD!). I'm fixing to order an ACE ARFX, just because I like it's looks and may end up with an MGI for it, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I am thinking of a CavArms lower for mine :) I somehow don't think that's going to reduce recoil though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well I can tell you that it really works!  Shot the beowulf and its much more tame after installing the MGI...By the way I'm the person that Mongo built the lower for.  Which is a RRA too....I'm no puss, it just kicked my ass for some reason...but thats now a thing of the past

Bigant

His username, Bigant, pretty much describes this guy, although it should look like this:  BIGANT.  He's a hell of a nice guy, though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Recoil pad, for sure.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I just installed a ace M4 socom stock with the 1inch recoil pad and a Colt 9mm SMG 2 piece buffer and a Wolff 10% spring. A big difference in perceived recoil i think now its down to a 20guage instead of a 12. thanks guys for your advice. Also had a chance to work up some loads with WC 820 powdwer and 325 gr Speer bullets, they shot great but i have to wait to get outside to chrony them, i then will post results.

Paul.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Qball; where there any issues installing the Colt smg 9mm buffer?  I have 300+ rounds of factory 325 and 334gr with no hiccups yet.  I have been using Hodguns LiL Gun powder with 325gr Speer (per Alexander factory reload sheet) with good results out to 150 yds (27.2grs).....do you know of anyone loading the Speer 300gr bullet and what their load is?
Wait till you punch a deer with one of these.  Quite humane.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well I just installed a ace M4 socom stock with the 1inch recoil pad and a Colt 9mm SMG 2 piece buffer and a Wolff 10% spring. A big difference in perceived recoil i think now its down to a 20guage instead of a 12. thanks guys for your advice. Also had a chance to work up some loads with WC 820 powdwer and 325 gr Speer bullets, they shot great but i have to wait to get outside to chrony them, i then will post results.

Paul.

were did you get the Wolff 10% spring????

Bigant
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Full A2 stock with a weight in the buttstock compartment - the lead weight that fills the entire compartment that target shooters use.  Recoil pad over the back.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Let us know how the magnaporting goes....I finally joined the 50 Beowulf Club and will order the MGI buffer from Brownells(Go C&R!!!), and probably an ACE buttstock too.

Still would like to know if the $180 AA Muzzle Brake does anything worthwhile for the price.

Yes I will Wave, .
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#33]
ballistick, i had the SMG buffer laying around, i picked it up on the forum here from another member for 40.00. I havent seen any data for reloading 300gr bullets. there was no issue installing it.

Paul.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Brownell's part # 969-165-010 is currently out of stock.
Wolff's web site shows part # 16501 for $14.99
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The lower will be fine.  A brake won't do as much as it would do on other cartridges due to the lower speed of the gas and larger diameter of the bore.  Brakes work better on smaller, faster calibers.

I found the Beowulf to be on par with 00 Buck.  Stiff, but not bad.  Most people aren't used to shooting 00 Buck in semi-auto, though...  

-Troy

So why does the 454 casul brake work? or the 44 magnum also?  Magic, or disinformation?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I won't be shooting it that much at the bench.

Sissy.....you're just afraid of all those 1/2" holes in your rubber targets.

No I'm a PUSSY! - Just remember, "You are what you eat!"
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:42:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The 10% more NOT reduced one, correct?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The 10% more NOT reduced one, correct?

Right, it's an extra power action spring +10%.  check with www.midwayusa.com  They have 1 in stock right now.

Wave, Have you sent or faxed your C&R FFL to Wolff directly?  I did and they give me 1/3 off which is about equal to what Brownells charges.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I won't be shooting it that much at the bench.

Sissy.....you're just afraid of all those 1/2" holes in your rubber targets.

Yes HOLLOwPoiIt is a  !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top