Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 5:35:06 AM EDT
I have one for sale and I don't know if its Eagle Arms or Essential Arms although I'm pretty sure its Essential Arms. Is it cast or forged? Need to answer for a potential buyer.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude, how do we know? Read the side, Essential was in Lousiana, IIRC. Eagle was up north.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Well Dude, looks like you do know.

Says  
E.A. CO.
KR SPR. LA.

One down one to go.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Rough finish, or smoother one with machining marks? Does it make a hollow noise when you tap on it? Its hard to explain a cast receiver to someone, but I can tell them when I see them. There is probably a surefire way to tell, but I don't know one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Now thats the thing, I know this was at the time considered I guess a "value" lower and if it were cast I would expect an inconsistent finish and to have areas where the "flash" from the molds wasn't ground down all the way. But its really nice, and smooth.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like it could well be forged. My EA is cast.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I just hate to give this guy the wrong info. I was hoping someone would know that EA "never" made forged or something. But I guess its a crap shoot. If I were to bet on it though I would say its forged.

But thanks a lot for the answers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Some forged, some cast, thats what I have always heard.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
EA makes both cast and forged now, but in the past, before they shut down in '93, it is my understanding they had only cast.

HOWEVER, there cast receivers were the best, in my and many others opinions, on the market.  Machining was good, parts fit, critical dimensions, etc, all good.

I had one, it worked well.  

Main problem, most were finished in a medium gray, the mfg says matched the original M16 color, which it did.  Problem is, there are no matching gray uppers now.  EA offered A1 and A2 gray uppers way back when, but none available now.

If gray, you can use Norrell's Flat Black Moly Resin www.molyresin.com to make it match current upper very well.  I will be spraying and baking a local LEO's gray lower next week.

Ed to add, most were investment cast by Ruger's casting division.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Ed to add, most were investment cast by Ruger's casting division.

From all that I've read ....All EA were cast.....I've had one for years and it's always been trouble free......
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top