Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 5:18:39 PM EDT
I'm about to buy/build (undecided) my first AR and i've been doind searces and researches on here for a week because i'm stuck offshore. First I want to say thanks to everyone who have asked questions i've had long before i got here, and thanks to all of you who have taken time to answer them. I understand that the el-cheapo chrome moly bbl doesn't last as long as chrome plated, but that a relative term. Does anyone out there have general comparison as to how many more rounds you can get out of chrome lined barrels? I suppose it has a lot to do with how clean you keep your rifle also.  Just wondering if I get a non-chrome plated.. will i be buying a new barrel in a year??

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Heat is the main issue when discussing barrel life.  If it were only bullets going down the bore, a barrel would last a very long time.  A barrel only lasts a few seconds on "full burn".  A chrome bore will probably take more abuse at higher temps than a CM or SS barel.  On the other hand, CM or SS tends to be a little more accurate or so they say.  I don't have personal experience on that.  I suspect it might be because CM is easier to cut or takes a smoother finish inside the bore.  I don't really know though.

I read somewhere that 800 degrees F is where barrel life really starts to go in the shitter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A barrel only lasts a few seconds on "full burn".  

So... If I "accidentally" bump a 30 round clip through a Chrome Moly bbl, ya think it'd screw it up?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the advice, doubt i'll be doing any 600 yd shooting. probably not gonna put optics on my first rifle. maybe later on if i get another. i have a custom 7mm mauser job for long range shooting. so i guess pop cans at 50 yards may be an accurate desciption of what i'll do with it to start. i think i'm sold on the chrome plated bbl anyway, thx again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A barrel only lasts a few seconds on "full burn".  

So... If I "accidentally" bump a 30 round clip through a Chrome Moly bbl, ya think it'd screw it up?

No, what  I meant by that is that if you add up all the time that the powder is burning at high pressure over the life of the barrel, it is just 5 or 10 to 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
interesting take on the whole thing, 15 seconds. If a local gun dealer told me my gun barrel would only last 15 seconds, i don't think i'd buy it. hinking.gifbut yeah, i see your point.

One more Question: if a chrome moly bbl lasts 15-20k rounds for plinking etc.. how long would a chrome plated last?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
My first AR15, an Eagle Arms 20" heavy barrel purchased in either 1988 or 1989 had a CM barrel. It would consistently shoot 1 MOA until I had shot somewhere between 3K to 4K rounds.  Groups gradually started to open up to about 3 MOA. I have since replaced the original barrel with a Colt Gov't profile 1/7 chrome lined barrel.

Gary
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are going to spend $700 + on a rifle, spend the extra $30 and get a chrome lined barrel. Its easier to clean and will last longer. By the way www.adcofirearms.com is where I buy all my AR gear. Highly recommended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top