Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 5:21:05 AM EDT
Is it common for the upper and lower not to lock up tight? My new gun has a little wiggle. Can this be eliminated somehow?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
This is normal for many AR's and it will not effect the accuracy or reliablity of your rifle.  If it bothers you you can put an o-ring the front pivot pin lug.  This will tighten up the fit between the upper and lower without having to put anything inside the lower like an accuwedge.  Not to mention it's much chaeper than an accuwedge too!

The exact size of the o-ring escapes me right now, maybe someone can post it...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry too much about a little wiggle - your rifle will probably shoot fine.  My Colt rattles around a bit, probably because the back of the channel where the upper's takedown pin fits into the lower is relieved a bit.

Tight fit is in theory better, but if you do a search you'll see that rifles that wiggle a bit shoot just as well, or better.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You can drop in an Accuwedge, available for a few bucks from many sources.

But it does not affect accuracy.

www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/techNotesMain.htm

Read #55, Receiver Tightness.

And while there, look at the other tech notes.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, all this makes sense. I can understand why a non-tight fitting rifle is not a bad thing, but it does feel a little odd. I just don't like rattle. So, my next question is, does this wedge hurt the gun?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#5]
No.  It is simply a piece of rubber.  You might struggle a bit fitting the upper on over it to get the rear pivot pin in place but it will not hurt anything and should tighten up the fit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Great, just ordered one from fulton armory. Also found a front sight adjustment tool for that pesky A2 front sight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not much of a believer in the Accuwedge or the need for a tight fit.

There is no advantage, and some potential disadvantages.

Get one if you absolutely feel the need for a tight fit, but it's unnecessary
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What disadvantages are you refering too?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What disadvantages are you refering too?

It can possibly break up and jam up your firing components.  

I'll repeat it again, if you want to tighten up the upper/lower fit skip the accuwedge and get get a cheap o-ring and put it on the front pivot pin lug....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top