Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 11:12:05 PM EDT
Hello,

These guys have almost unbeatable prices. Are their uppers as good as -say- Bushmaster's or RRA's??? I know nothing about them. Are their barrels any good? Do they make their own receivers and barrels or are these made by some other company? All info & experiences regarding their products welcome!!!!!

Thanks!

Best.

Petri
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I wanna know if anybody has bought from them also....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 uppers, and one lightweight barrel I bought from them.  I'm happy with the quality and service, and will buy from them again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I do believe there is a bit of a controversy concerning the company. Look around, specifically for a post by AROWNERAGAIN.

Here's the thread.... save your money.....ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=277277
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting problem, but I think the original post was about quality/price.

That thread seems to be UPS/M1S not wanting to pay for something that was lost.  That could happen with any company.  For example, I had a similar situation with Ruger several years back over some replacement parts.

M1S makes good parts.

Cheers,

Michael
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Model 1 upper in 6.5grendel would make an excellent IPSC rifle in Major
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I havnt had good luck with Model 1 I have purchased two uppers from them and both had mistimed barrels. THey would run fine but had to retime both to get the sights to line up. They offered to fix both but was just easier to do it myself here, other problem I didnt care for is no Chrome lining in thier barrels.
 I just go with bushy now and as of yet havnt had any issues with builds or uppers. yah they cost a lil more but I think there is something to the saying "you get what you pay for"
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I am currently on the fence between building and buying my first AR, have been reading most of these posts on model 1 sales etc. and want to know... If not Model 1 sales, what company is recommended for buying a kit from.. (note: if its not that economical, i'll just spend the money for a new bushmaster if i can find one locally)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am currently on the fence between building and buying my first AR, have been reading most of these posts on model 1 sales etc. and want to know... If not Model 1 sales, what company is recommended for buying a kit from.. (note: if its not that economical, i'll just spend the money for a new bushmaster if i can find one locally)

J&T Distributing and ADCO seem to have a good reputation here and have prices that are competetive with M1S.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Owned 3 uppers from Mod 1, all shot to the left so much that windage was almost maxed out. Tried to order an 11.5 in barrel over the phone, very rude and demanded that I fax a copy of my form 1or 4. A friend at work ordered a lower parts kit from them, total crap. I've since learned to spend a little more for a better product and dependable customer service.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]
thx maddogkiller
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive got one model 1 upper and do NOT plan on buying another. The receiver looks cast, not forged and the barrel was sent in .223 and not 5.56.... There customer service SUX ..... Buy at your own risk..........
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
m1s is now offering cromelined barrels in their kits, also just ordered their car kit with the 1/8 ss barrel and ff tube for 475, will post more on it when it gets in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I was buying all my kits from JT but later went with model 1 as for price they are hard to beat, and Model 1 does offer a chorme lined barrels now and have for several months..one of the main reasons I swithed to model 1 was price, another was I emiled JT on 2 occasions about offering a complete A1 upper kit and they would never return my emails... who knows maybe they where to busy..not putting them down they still offer a goood product... (ps if they decied to ever make an a1 car kit I would be all over it) but for me on a limited budget I will stick with model 1 just my .02

and fwiw I have 2 ARs in my gun safe put together from model 1 16 inch car kits one on a busy lower 1 on a oly lower.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got two parts kits from M1S. They looked pretty good to me. The blueing on the lower small parts look kind of cheesy. And the trigger pull was well over 12lbs and creepy. But i think I can do a little tweaking, filling & polishing and get it lower and smoother. I'll try to post how they shoot in a week or two.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:55:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Interesting problem, but I think the original post was about quality/price.

That thread seems to be UPS/M1S not wanting to pay for something that was lost.  That could happen with any company.  For example, I had a similar situation with Ruger several years back over some replacement parts.

M1S makes good parts.

Cheers,

Michael

Yeah but customer services plays a part in how good the product is. At least for me anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Built two A2s 11 years ago with M1S parts and uppers.  No problems.  Used for coyote hunting, some Highpower comp., and plinking.  Probably better quality uppers out there; but for a inexpensive serviceable rifle I've had no problems.  I did stone and deburr any parts before I put it together, though.  I guess it depends what you want, what you think you need, or want to pay.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hello,

These guys have almost unbeatable prices. Are their uppers as good as -say- Bushmaster's or RRA's??? I know nothing about them. Are their barrels any good? Do they make their own receivers and barrels or are these made by some other company? All info & experiences regarding their products welcome!!!!!

Thanks!

Best.

Petri

I've got an M1S 16" carbine upper that I've had for several years now.  It's been totally reliable and I've shot the best 200 yard offhand targets I've ever shot with it.

I plan to buy a 6.8mm carbine upper from them in the future.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase their products in the future.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a question. If not Model 1 Sales, who would I purchase a pistol buffer tube/assembly from?

Thanx.
Sammy
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I purchased a "pistol kit", the 10 or 11" barrel.  So far, it looks like it is okay.  The parts kit went into the lower.  Upper was tight on the lower at first, but that has loosened up.  Being a pistol, the "AR pistol recoil tube" is the weak part.  It seems to be the issue for all people w/ AR pistols using that tube.

I cant' say anything for accuracy, as I haven't focused on that yet.  Some one said once that during barrel assembly, it is possible the barrel tilted one direction, hence the sight is off.  I haven't experianced it myself, so I can't say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top