Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 9:53:35 AM EDT
I am in the process of building a new AR15 carbine.  I very much like the look of the mid-length barrels.  However, I have been told by several people I trust that Bushmaster makes the best barrels and Bushmaster does not make a mid-length.  How does the quality and accuracy of the RRA barrels compare to Bushy?  They have the barrel I want, but I do not want to sacrifice quality for looks.  Also, Bushmaster claims on their website that their barrels are already properly headspaced.  Is the same true of RRA?  If RRA barrels ARE inferior, is there another vendor that has mid-length barrels that DO compare to Bushmaster's barrels?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
have shot  both rriver uses wilson barrel bushmaster uses their own have found rr to be noticeably more accurate. Also most other ar manufatures use wilson (barrel blanks all companies chamber and crown in house.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA steel is not as high a grade as Bushmaster so it wont handle heat as well. Make sure the RRA unit os chrome lined.  RRA does not offer 1/7 twist barrels.  My Bushmaster 1/7 14.5" M4 can put up sub MOA groups at 100 yards.  Is that not accurate enough?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out the 16" midlength 1:7 barrel Group Buy.

They're chrome-lined and have the same type of steel as Bushy barrels - probably as close as you can get to a Bushmaster midlength barrel.  You also have the option of getting feed ramp cuts.

But wait, there's more!

They cost less than a comparable RRA barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
After doing some research, I have found that Armalite has the exact barrel I want.  I can buy the entire kit for $222.  Does anyone know the quality of the Armalite barrels???
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used a fair amount of the Armalite barrels.  All of the ones that I have used have turned out to be acceptably accurate.  They are, however, very rough and need extensive break-in.  I have used some of the Olympic Arms barrels and have found them to be the most consistant and accurate barrels anywhere, and no where close to the amount of break-in needed,  I have used Willson blanks and I think they ran a close second.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
found rr to be noticeably more accurate

Noticably?  What is noticably?  How did you come to this conclusion?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
(barrel blanks all companies chamber and crown in house.

I wouldn't say "all"  I know of at least one that doesn't and I have my doubts about another.  Some of the AR "Manufacturers" arn't truely manufacturers even though they may ship alot of product.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top