Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 5:46:00 AM EDT
Hey guys,

It's been a l-o-n-g time since I've posted here....life's "other" projects!  Some familiar names still around I see.  Anyway.....

What is the difference (besides length) in the "original" CAR-15 flash suppressor sold by Bushmaster and the "extended" suppressor?  Is the original threaded differently or designed for a thinner barrel profile?  Also, if I recall, the barrel needs to be 16" so not to be a SBR.  If I would take a 11.5" barrel, add the "original" 4.5" FH on the end......that would be 16".  Why the longer 5.5" "extended" then?  

A couple years back, I probably knew the answer......early "oldtimers" I guess!

Thanks.

gunnutt
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome back gunnut.

I think the 5.5" extended suppressors are to get the 10.5" barrels legal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
11 1/2" + 4 1/2" DOES equal 16".

Trouble is you have to subtract the thread length, when one is attached to the other.

You come up somewhat short. Somewhere between 15" and 15 1/2" overall length.

What I did nearly thirty years ago when I built (assembled) my first XM-177 clone, was to buy a slipover flash hider, that was threaded inside, just behind the slots, and installed it on a 16" lightweight barrel. Gives the look, but keeps the velocity of the 16" barrel. Best of both world.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
What I did nearly thirty years ago when I built (assembled) my first XM-177 clone, was to buy a slipover flash hider, that was threaded inside, just behind the slots, and installed it on a 16" lightweight barrel. Gives the look, but keeps the velocity of the 16" barrel. Best of both world

That's my plan for a no-ban rifle.

If I can ever get the cash saved up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What I did nearly thirty years ago when I built (assembled) my first XM-177 clone, was to buy a slipover flash hider, that was threaded inside, just behind the slots, and installed it on a 16" lightweight barrel. Gives the look, but keeps the velocity of the 16" barrel. Best of both world

That's my plan for a no-ban rifle.

If I can ever get the cash saved up.

Bushmaster carries them. $14.95

Slipover CAR type flash hider

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That's what I use on my 16" HBAR.  Don't ask me why , But I have always liked the look of that flash suppressor and it makes you 16" look shorter then with the normal A2 bird cage. Whether or not it works better then other flash suppressors or not I don't know. and I don't fire it at night. even though I should just to see how it reduce's flash or not.
Plus you do not see that FS alot so when your rifle is on a rack with 23 other rifles that kinda all look the same... it's easy to identify..
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the response guys.
Yep, kinda figured the 5.5" was for the shorter barrel.  I ordered up both from BM, so I'll be busy with my ruler when they arrive!  My real question I guess was if the "original" was designed for a thinner barrel profile, thus being uncompatable with the current HBAR profile......

BTW, what happened to the stuff in the "INFORMATION" section about the XM177?  I recall there being a listing with pics of all the different models and stuff....

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top