Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 3:28:42 PM EDT
Seems that if the barrel was going to be damaged due to thin-ness, it would easily get damaged under the handguard.  Why not have the entire barrel thin for light weight?  Seems a barrel that is heavy(right at the receiver), then thin(under the hand guard), then heavy again(near the muzzle) at the end looses the "heavy barrel"=accuracy issue.

Am I missing something?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that the AR15/M16 sourcebook attributes this to soldiers who were using M16's as crowbars.  Thr army thus asked colt/armalite/whoever to make the barrels strong enough to withstand this action.  So they added something like 15% weight and got 35% more strength.  

The book says nothing about it being attributed to rapid fire or accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm.  OK, thanks.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Your barrel wont fail due to heat... the gas tube will fail first.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a beautiful thing about the AR.  You can shoot the shiites out of it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Marines wanted a heavier barrel to reduce barrel whip, help control full-auto, and allow heavy barrel profiles in Service Rifle competition.  The barrel is still light under the handguards to reduce weight and allow the M203 to be attached.  Placing the heavy portion at the end of the barrel reduces muzzle rise and dampens barrel whip, increasing accuracy, and also helps heat dissipation by drawing the heat to the exposed portion of the barrel.

-Troy

Wow.  Great info.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know who came up with and approved the current profile.  I have heard it referred to as the "Heavy at the wrong end" barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top