Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 10:23:11 AM EDT
Hey all,

sorry for the noob question but here goes....

I currently have a colt A2 20" HBAR that I carry on duty with me.  I'm county so I went with the 20" for rural settings. I've now been reassigned to a metro area and have found myself in the position of clearing buildings with my A2. Don't get me wrong, I can get it done, I'm just tired of humping that heavy bugger around. It currently has a rail system and a Surefire 972 out front...gets a little old..

Can I get a smaller upper and use it on the A2 lower?  I'd like to keep the A2 stock as I'm 6'5 and even with my armor on I have no trouble getting a nose to charging handle sight picture. I don't know if this is possible, but what I envision is having two uppers with me - the original 20" HBAR and some type of shorty tac upper so I can switch the two out as the mission requires...

Unfortunately, due to department policy, I'm limited to either Colt or Armalite...nothing else.  Has to be iron sights, no optics. First, can I do this with, say, an M4 upper?  If it is possible to swap uppers out like that can you guys recommend and upper to use?  For what its worth I've been thinking either M4 or A3 tactical for the upper....

Thanks,
Monty

Edit:  I'm assuming that an upper would be complete with barrel, handguards etc....is that a correct assumption?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Changing the upper would work fine.

6920 (M4-16"barrel) 6721 (M4-14.5"barrel) or 6721 (A3 Tactical Carbine 16" barrel) just pull the front and rear pins th remove and replace

Yes you can get them as a complete unit, with or without Bolt carrier, Bolt, Charging handle
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks YardDog,

appreciatel the reply.

one last question....is it possible to get a factory Colt upper?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

one last question....is it possible to get a factory Colt upper?

Yes look here they have lots, or call them, they are very helpful

Specialized Armament
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If this is a department weapon you can use a 14.5" M4 barrel and just screw on the Vortex; if it's yours you'll have to have it silver soldered on the muzzle to get the barrel out to the required 16" NFA length.

-- Chuck

If it's a NFA registered lower then he can use a 14.5" barrel. A department can not just put a short barrel on any rifle they want, they must still comply with NFA regulations.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I doubt your department has a clue what a Colt or ArmaLite upper looks like compared to any other.  But if you have a Colt's large takedown pin lower you're stuck with Colt's parts.

If you trust having an adapter pin in your rifle, and I don't see why you wouldn't, you can put small pin uppers on large pin lowers and vice versa which would open to door to all the other aftermarket equipment out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top