Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 12:55:57 PM EDT
Which to buy / what's the difference?

When installing the A2 Flash Hider, is there a better choice? Peel Washer or Crush Washer?

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Crush
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the peel, especially when using a sound suppressor.

Now we have a tie.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
AAC recommends peel washers
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The peel washer I ordered from Bushmaster with my A2 FS was the right size from the get go. Easy as pie.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Crush

Triple X Warrior can comes with crush washer.

I have removed/installed cans many times with crush washers without a problem.  Try to do that with a peel washer or a split washer.

A good crush washer goes a long time without releasing!

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Over-torqueing a FH can lead to degradation in accuracy.  Impossible to do with a crush washer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Crush types work great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is an excellent answer that I received from Bushmaster.  I went with the crush washer.

Either one will do the same job of indexing the flash hiders with the closed bottoms. The crush washer is faster and easier to install.
           Subject: Crush washer

Crush washers are now being used to replace peel washers as they are easier to install as there are no shims to get to the correct size. Place the crush washer on the threaded muzzle with the beveled tapered end toward the receiver and install the flash suppressor. There is no torque value used to install crush washers. When the flash suppressor comes into contact with the crush washer you must be able to get at least a 3/4 turn on the suppressor for alignment. If after contact with the crush washer there is less than a 3/4 turn for alignment you must turn the flash suppressor on an additional turn to index it and hold it in place.

Subject: Peel washer

To install a flash suppressor or muzzle brake with a peel washer it will index the suppressor or muzzle brake in the right position for correct performance. A peel washer has one half that is a solid piece while the other half is a series of thin shims glued together. The shims are "peeled" off until the correct amount are used to index the suppressor or muzzle brake. The peel washer may be heated to remove thin sections as the heat will soften the glue used to hold them together.
Place the peel washer on the muzzle threads and install the suppressor to 20 to 25 ft lbs. Always place thin sections to the rear. If the suppressor does not line up remove some of the shims with a razor knife. Be careful using the razor knife to peel shims off and not cut yourself. Pieces of shims can be removed or added as needed to get the correct alignment.

No Loctite should be used for the installation of the flash hider.

Thank you,
           Jim, Tech Support.

I ordered on Tuesday and they shipped on Wednesday.  It doesn't get much better than that!

Good shooting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top