Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 11:43:34 AM EDT
I plan to upgrade my Bushy with an LMT upper and an LMT Gen II M4 stock and figured it's a good time to consider replacing other components as well. Therefore:

Which is the better bolt - factory Colt, standard LMT, or LMT "Enhanced" - and why?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I cannot tell you who is THE BEST

I have never had a LMT enhanced bolt.

But the Colt's have the least problems, in fact I have never heard of a Colt failing.

Saying that. I have never seen or used every Colt bolt on the planet.

So I would go with least amount of issues. Colt.

I have the Colt M4 and LMT standard. Both do just fine for what I need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I cannot tell you who is THE BEST

I have never had a LMT enhanced bolt.

But the Colt's have the least problems, in fact I have never heard of a Colt failing.

Saying that. I have never seen or used every Colt bolt on the planet.

So I would go with least amount of issues. Colt.

I have the Colt M4 and LMT standard. Both do just fine for what I need.

I'm not sure I understand this part.  Are you saying you have a Colt M4 carbine with an LMT bolt installed in it?  Or, are you saying Colt has an M4-specific bolt that is different from the standard bolt?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The Colt, with a heavy duty extractor spring.

My LMT enhanced woes: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=192685
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
BOLT ASSY, CARBINE (MPC or C)
COLT FACTORY EXTRACTOR SPRING ASSY W/ BLACK INSERT

I have two complete setups.

I have a Colt M-16 carrier with a M4 bolt.

I have a LMT standard carrier/standard bolt.
When I took apart the LMT it has a black insert also.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Colt, with a heavy duty extractor spring.

My LMT enhanced woes: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=192685

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So the only differences between the Colt factory bolts are as follows?

Rifle - Standard extractor spring w/blue insert
Carbine - Standard extractor spring w/black insert
Commando - HD green extractor spring w/black insert
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the only differences between the Colt factory bolts are as follows?

Rifle - Standard extractor spring w/blue insert
Carbine - Standard extractor spring w/black insert
Commando - HD green extractor spring w/black insert

Don't forget the red insert.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
So LMT standard is OK. Or find myself a Colt bolt group to put in the LMT upper?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]

So LMT standard is OK. Or find myself a Colt bolt group to put in the LMT upper?

Bump.

I would like to know as well.

My LMT bolt/carrier group is on it's way and I plan to replace the extractor spring with one of Ken Elmore's "red" springs from SAW.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd also like to know where to buy a Colt bolt group.

Also, can anyone give me any links to any threads about the springs? What's the deal with the red spring vs. standard?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Also, can anyone give me any links to any threads about the springs? What's the deal with the red spring vs. standard?

www.sawlesales.com for the Colt parts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a Colt bolt with Wolff HD extractor spring in my full-auto M4 carbine and have never had a bolt failure.

Quoted:

If you are looking for the bolt minus the carrier, I'd try Armament Services International. They sell new ones for $50.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I use a Colt bolt with Wolff HD extractor spring in my full-auto M4 carbine and have never had a bolt failure.

Quoted:

If you are looking for the bolt minus the carrier, I'd try Armament Services International. They sell new ones for $50.

Good site.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#15]
How many people here have worn out a Colt, RRA, or Bushmaster bolt?  I guess I could see full auto, but wouldn't a properly manufactured and heat treated bolt outlast, say several barrels?  How many people here have worn out a chrome lined AR barrel? So, why would I need something "enhanced" that works perfectly fine and never wears out in it's "unenhanced" state?  Not trying to flame, just asking.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have great experiences with LMT enhanced bolts, and I also use standard bolt with SAW upgrade extractor spring.  both are flewless in heavy action.  LMT bolts are easier to clean.

Is this the "red spring" to which people refer?  Similar to the green spring for the Commando?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ some of the prices on there are high. $285 M4 stocks (do they think they are HK?! ), $120 buffers, and... $135 WASHERS. Granted it's for part of a grenade launcher, but in reality, it's a circular piece of metal... for $135.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How many people here have worn out a Colt, RRA, or Bushmaster bolt?  I guess I could see full auto, but wouldn't a properly manufactured and heat treated bolt outlast, say several barrels?  How many people here have worn out a chrome lined AR barrel? So, why would I need something "enhanced" that works perfectly fine and never wears out in it's "unenhanced" state?  Not trying to flame, just asking.

I guess that's kind of what I'm wondering too. Other than having the "cool factor" of having a Colt bolt group, is it really any better than an RRA bolt group for semi-auto?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  When you guys find the civilian (or military for that matter) who wore out an "unenhanced" AR15 bolt, please post.  Much of this is gadgetry and fuel for the boys in all of us grown men.  Some of it is worthwhile (but only some).  It's the reason why we customize cars, work on our own stuff, buy cool powertools, buy the latest fishing lures (even though what has been used since caveman times, live bait, always seems to be best) etc.  The AR15 is the KING of gadgetry and has replaced the M1911 as the No.1 focus of doing unnecessary things to it (called customizing).  This is followed by the 10/22 in third.  It's our tinkertoys.  I'm not a hypocrit, I'm eyebrow deep in it too.  I just want everyone to know that I have admitted my problem but choose to do nothing about it except buy more unnecessary AR15 gadgets.  Now if I could only sell my Eotech 552 Rev. E for enough to pay for most of a Rev. F ..............................
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top