Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 11:12:24 AM EDT
I'm looking to mail-order a new complete upper (with or without bolt, I have a spare) for a new lower I just bought.

The only must-have is a 16" with threaded barrel (so I can use my AAC suppressor on it). Beyond that, I like the idea of a lightweight profile, unless the skinny barrel is much more affected by the suppressor's weight than a heavy barrel is.

I've found the three mail order houses in shotgun news, and prices all seem right in the same range; frankly one of them (Model 1?) has whole gun kits just missing stripped lower for only $80-$100 or so more than just the upper. This seems like a good idea, since for that $80 or $100, I'd get the bolt, charging handle, stock, recoil spring & buffer, and all the parts needed to rebuild a stripped lower.

Any word or advice on brands or suppliers to avoid or try first..?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Browse through here: jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7

Lots of dealers who support the board sell all types of uppers and 99% of them stand behind their products.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
JTAC Supply can hook you up with just about any kind of upper you want shipped to your door.... JTAC
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I talked to the guy at JTAC; don't recall his name. His stuff was more "high-end" oriented than I was looking for, as I'm looking to build a pretty plain-jane CAR-15. Also, (strangely, to me anyway) all his uppers were 1-in-7, and I wanted a 1-in-9.

He suggested both Model One and JT (JP?) Enterprises, and on his suggestion, I ordered a plain CAR "kit" from Model One.

His help was very straightforward and very appreciated, especially considering that what I was looking for wasn't something he had on hand.

If I ever do start looking for a match-grade setup, I'll remember him. He seems like a true pro, and one of the good guys.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also, (strangely, to me anyway) all his uppers were 1-in-7, and I wanted a 1-in-9.

Just as a side note, you lose little to nothing going to a 1/7 vs. 1/9, but either will get the job done.  Some here shoot everything from 40gr to 80gr in a 1/7 with little problems and others do the same with a 1/9.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just as a side note, you lose little to nothing going to a 1/7 vs. 1/9, but either will get the job done.  Some here shoot everything from 40gr to 80gr in a 1/7 with little problems and others do the same with a 1/9.  

Main reason for preferring a 'looser' twist was twofold. With the short CAR barrel, I primarily use light 55-60 grain bullets, and secondly I shoot a LOT of .22LR's out of my AR now, and this second one will probably be no exception. The 1-in-9's already pretty 'tight' for a .22lr; I was worried a 1-in-7 would be pushing it too much.

Thanks for the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top