Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 8:25:52 AM EDT
i have a 16" full stock carbine with a fat boy gas tube. i really love the reduction in recoil- it's like shooting a bb gun. i am considering installing a rate reducing or hydrolic buffer such as advanced armament's cyclic rate reducer. anyone have any experience with these type full-size buffers? might this smooth things out further, or open a pandora's box of cycling problems?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#2]
pbstreetgang,

I'm getting over the initial upper break-in and might consider a PRI fat-boy gas tube.

How's reliability on your end?

I'm interested in just how reliable other user's setups are with the Fat Boy.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The MGI Rate/Recoil Reducing buffer is available in a rifle-length version, and it works great.

The rate reduction occurs primarily due to the extra weight, but the recoil reduction comes from the proprietary plunger that sets the tungsten sliding weights into opposing motion, just before the extra weight of the buffer slams into the back or the receiver extension(buffer tube). This plunger/sliding weight action actually nullifies a high percentage of the perceived recoil of the gun, and also spreads-out what's left of the recoil over a longer time, thus making it seem much easier to take. Since recoil on an AR is not that bad to begin with, there is very little left after the RRB gets done with it.

It is not a cheap buffer, but it is VERY good, even in semi-auto, giving better control of the gun for faster follow-up shots, and more comfortable shooting in general.
It is unbelieveably good in full-auto.
Small Arms Review, and Special Weapons Magazine, had great reviews of this MGI buffer. Several shooters on this forum use it for action-shooting competition(in semi-auto), and love it.

I work for the MGI factory, and can answer any of your questions, if you would like.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
pbstreetgang,

I'm getting over the initial upper break-in and might consider a PRI fat-boy gas tube.

How's reliability on your end?

I'm interested in just how reliable other user's setups are with the Fat Boy.

Jim

after about 500 rnds. no probs at all.  just smoothed things out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top