Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 4:20:01 PM EDT
I've found a couple references to Eagle Arms receivers here on the board, but no real specific information. (I've never come across the brand until today at a gunshow.)

It's stamped "Eagle Arms - div. ArmaLite, Geneseo, IL.".  

I've found enough references to know it's the same Armalite that's normally associated with AR's, so I would assume it's quality stuff, but no comments on the quality of Eagle Arms specifically.

Are these decent lowers?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Are these decent lowers?

Thanks.

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They are of very good quality.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Very good to hear. What I was hoping (yet not overly hopeful) to find at the show was a private-sale AR lower; i.e., no paperwork, yet legal. This was to be the base of a new CAR build I want to do; basically, buy any decent private-sale lower I could find, & piece together with tele-stock, CAR-length upper, etc.

Was considering a couple new ones I found on a dealer's table. He had new colts for $500, and new DPMS for $300; I was leaning toward the dpms, as he said he'd toss in a telestock at $320. Then when turning literally the last corner of the show, with only one aisle to go, I asked at a table that had a couple used AR's on it. The bored-looking guy behind the table didn't seem overly knowledgeable, and when I explained to him what I wanted to do, he reached under the table and said, "Would this work?", and pulls out a never-been-fired Eagle Arms lower, complete with all guts & tele-stock. Caught me by surprise, as it was exactly what I was looking for except for being new and being a brand I wasn't familiar with, so I asked how much.

He looked embarrassed to be asking for money for "part" of a gun, and said, "Two hundred ok?" Answer of course was, "Ubetcha", even though I really didn't want a new, papered receiver.

Handed him 2 hundred-dollar bills, he handed it over and sat down. I looked at him for a second & then asked, "That do it?" He says "Yep, thanks."

So I went home with my private-sale, never-been-fired lower assembly.

Popped the two pins on my old CAR, & put its upper on the new lower, and tried it out a little this evening. So far, it seems good.

Looks like sometimes a blind squirrel does find a nut. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Any more input on the quality of these? If it's weak, I'd rather replace it now, before I've got much time invested in it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]
New_Guy,

They are the same quality as an Armalite receiver.  I have built a few rifles up using them and they where all great.  I have built on most of the major mfg's receivers and the Eagle are on the list for personal rifles.  Here is a pic of one that I KG koted to match the upper. I did all the metal except for a bead blasted SS barrel.  The whole rifle turned out beautiful.

IDHunt

--
The Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited by Law

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll find Eagle/Armalite lowers here

www.quanticoarms.com

The are very nice, well finished, and reliable.

Rome
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm concerned about this thing now. I've only had a chance to put around a hundred 5.56 and several hundred .22LR's out of it, but it has a tendency to double-tap; maybe once out of a magzine, or slightly less often.

I've had one response (on another board) from a guy who bought an Eagle Arms lower, only to have it go full-auto on him, and this thing is showing that tendency. Obviously not a good thing, especially when it's not predictable.

Sounds like I need to run back up to the country and just run a bunch of ammo through it and see if it settles down. If not, it will need some hammer or sear re-shaping or maybe evern just a McCormick drop-in trigger group.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
New_Guy,

They are the same quality as an Armalite receiver.

Owning both true ArmaLite lowers and Eagle lowers, my opinion is they are not of the same quality.  While some runs of Eagle lowers are excellent, they do not match my ArmaLite lowers in machining, fit, and finish.  YMMV, but the last Eagle lowers I saw were bad;  it's unfortunate that thread got archived...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=201883

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=202674
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
DarkStar,

The 2 I got where outstanding quality wise.  I bought both mine back in Early 99', maybe late 98'.  Could be the new ones had QC problems but both of mine have been great.  I have built on Bushmaster, Eagle, DPMS, Colt, Olympic(Both new and old SGW), and Armscorp.  I am getting a RRA here soon to build on.  I would rate my Eagles up near the top, but that is just my experience.

IDHunt

--
The Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited by Law

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Thing is, I don't know if it was a factory-finished assembly or something put together after market. It looked factory (ie, it looks better than if I'd done it), but that's obviously no guarantee.

I've got an entire set of lower "guts" laying around; I may start comparing & swapping parts.

I figure first thing to try is to just go out & run a few hundred through it some afternoon, and see if it keeps misbehaving after that, or if it (hopefully) just "settles in" & acts right.

Also, the upper which I bought from Model One is very tight in the bolt carrier area. The Ciener unit just almost doesn't fit. (Another area I suspect/hope will break in eventually)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Doubling and things like that are most likely a parts problem and not a reciever issue. The Eagle Arms were all sold as stripped, so who knows what guys are in there.

I have an EA lower with RRA guts, and I run it flawlessly with a 50 Beowulf upper.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
the eagle arms and armalite lowers are exactly the same except for the stamping on the side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top