Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 9:48:31 AM EDT
Being a newbie, I'm confused about the entire chrome-lined barrel thing. As I understand it, "chrome-moly" barrels aren't "chrome-lined", correct? Also, looking at Model1Sales web page, you can buy kits with chrome-moly barrels or pay more and get kits that have "chrome lined chambers and bores". Does this mean that the actual barrel is chrome-lined? Or just the chamber and bore (the bore being just the mouth of the barrel? Or does "bore" mean the entire inside barrel surface?). I simply want a "chrome-lined barrel" just like the military has on their barrels to extend barrel life. Please explain all this to me.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, chrome-moly and chrome-lined are two different things. The chamber is where the round fits in, the bore is the actual rifled part of the barrel that the bullet travel through upon firing. Chrome-lined barrels are a lot easier to clean.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
"Chrome-moly" means a plain old steel barrel.  Some vendors use this terminology sloppily and are trying to be just a little misleading, IMO.

If you want a standard 5.56 NATO chambered military-type barrel, chrome-lined-from-chamber-to-muzzle, start looking at Bushmaster barrels.  They really are the best game in town for these types of barrels.  Fantastic quality and wide selection of barrel profiles and lengths.

Someone will eventually chime in to tell you chrome-lined barrels are less accurate.  The accuracy difference is barely significant.  A chrome-lined barrel is more accurate than the abilities of most shooters and can still do 1 MOA with the right ammunition.  If this rifle is intended to be used as a weapon, chrome-lined 5.56 is the best way to go...  many will say the ONLY way to go.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
>>"..chrome-lined from chamber to muzzle"

Right...exactly what I'm trying to get. I'm sure I'm sounding like more of an idiot than I really am. "It all depends on your definition of the word 'is'," Billy Clinton said. Now, of course, "bore" means the inside of the barrel. Where the bullet loads is the "chamber", which is also part of the barrel, right? Or are we using the word "chamber" to mean the entire inside of the upper including the "mouth" of the barrel? Also, can't you buy chrome-lined/coated bolts? And what about the inside of the upper? Is that also chrome-lined? Does that even matter? I know I'm splittin' those hairs here, but please let me know.    
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
First, I fully agree w/LarryLove that your best shot at a chrome lined, GI spec barrel is Bushmaster.

Reference your later questions, the only part(s) of any of the rest of the rifle that should be chrome lined, are the inside of the front tube of the bolt carrier, and the inside of the gas key.  And in the products of any of the major mwnufacturers, these areas are already chromed.

There are some on this site who will extol the advantages of having the entire bolt and carrier assemblies chrome lined----to which I respond "Horse Poop". They'll tell you that "They're so much easier to clean" but won't tell you that because the chromed finish shows up the powder fouling so much quicker, you have to clean them all the time to keep them from looking scuzzy. So if you're bound and determined to have the bolt and carrier fully chromed, by all means do so---but understand that your rifle will not function one iota more accurately or reliably, or longer, with the fully chromed piece in it.

No, the inside of the reciever is not chromed.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Being a newbie, I'm confused about the entire chrome-lined barrel thing. As I understand it, "chrome-moly" barrels aren't "chrome-lined", correct? Also, looking at Model1Sales web page, you can buy kits with chrome-moly barrels or pay more and get kits that have "chrome lined chambers and bores". Does this mean that the actual barrel is chrome-lined? Or just the chamber and bore (the bore being just the mouth of the barrel? Or does "bore" mean the entire inside barrel surface?). I simply want a "chrome-lined barrel" just like the military has on their barrels to extend barrel life. Please explain all this to me.  

Simple:

Stainless: Stainless-steel barrel. No chrome or other lining at all, just pure SS. This is the most accurate barrel variety, but they also wear out first... Match rifles use SS almost exclusively.

Chrome-Moly: Chrome, Molybdenum, and Steel alloy used to make barrels. This is a 'compromise' offering better life than stainless, and better accuracy than chrome-lining. This is the 'normal' AR barrel for civillian guns from most makers...

Chrome-lined: chrome plating on the inside of the CM barrel... The least accurate barrel type, but the longest lasting. Good for guns that will get wet/muddy, or that are used in highly corrosive environments... Since that includes US Mil weapons, the military uses chromed barrels...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Dave. That's what I wanted to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top