Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 9:09:33 PM EDT
Why did the SPR end up with a muzzle brake, given the light recoil of the 5.56?

Was it to have a new muzzle attachment specially adapted to attach a supressor, with the brake feature added as an afterthought, or did the end users request a brake? For quicker follow-up shots perhaps? If so, and they do work, then why do a lot of people on this board condemn brakes in general? I have noticed that MSTN, who is in the thick of things, is putting brakes on his custom uppers; most of his customers were unaffected by the AWB, so they must have requested brakes over flash supressors, or at any rate they have not bothered to remove them from their rifles. What gives, eh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd imagine it's to help keep eyes on target through scope for a fast follow up shot, as well as to confirm effect on target.  5.56 may be light recoiling, but through magnified optics the visual effect is increased.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
What specific "SPR Style" brake should I ask for when having my SPR upper built if I someday intend to put on a can?  Will the OPPS can be the only choice possible if I use an OPPS brake or other such clone?

Thanks,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The original purpose of the OPS-Inc brake and barrel collar on the SPR was to be a mounting platform for the OPS-Inc sound suppressor.

100% Correct.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Some bolt guns barrels are actually machined with the OPS INC brake built in...  The problem with the AR is that due to the gasblock you can't do that, and thus have to add the brake as an attachement.

PaulE is 100% on the what why where.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
OPSINC can't sell suppressors to anyone except military and LEOs since they are manufactured in the PRK.

So most of the SPR clones you see have the 2-port brake and collar just for show, absolutely no functional purpose.  

A brake/comp is useful on 5.56 AR15's to help reduce sight picture movement between shots.

-z
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I was surprised to see that the OPS brakes are installed using red Loctite.  I guess you need that sort of "permanence" to keep the brake from twisting off when removing the sound suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OPSINC can't sell suppressors to anyone except military and LEOs since they are manufactured in the PRK.

So most of the SPR clones you see have the 2-port brake and collar just for show, absolutely no functional purpose.  

A brake/comp is useful on 5.56 AR15's to help reduce sight picture movement between shots.

-z

An FFL (which they are) can sell to anyone from any state, legally, so long as the item is legal in that state and goes thru the appropriate FFL

A state cannot change this, period. It violates the US constitution (commerce clause).

Companies in Cali can sell supressors to anyone, anywhere, so long as the supressor is legal wher it is being recieved, and so long as NFA or export laws are observed.

Now, the real question, is did the OPS contract restrict production to the military so as to allow an uninterupted supply (eg prevent us from buying up all the supressors that the Army needs to have on the way to Iraq next week)...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If that is true, then how come nobody has a Title II suppressor from OPSINC?

I'll work on finding the cite.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I think this is the California state law restricting sales... CLICK HERE

-Randy
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
So okay; how many people are putting brakes on their SPR and Recce Rifle clones?

I am having one of each built and was undecided as to put brakes or flash hiders on 'em. There you have it; that's the hidden reason for this thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Question,
How LOUD are the OpsInc. Brakes, without the Suppressor of course?

I'm thinking it would at least be as loud or more so than a Bushy AK Brake.
Users?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
A while back I reviewed the OPSINC 4-port brake side by side with a contemporary comp (JP BC).   The JP blew it away.  

A search will reveal the thread.

-z
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A while back I reviewed the OPSINC 4-port brake side by side with a contemporary comp (JP BC).   The JP blew it away.  

A search will reveal the thread.

-z

Blew it away?
As in muzzle rise/recoil reduction or in just being loud??
I have heard JPs are loud as Fuck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, I should have been more specific.   The JP BC comp (which is substantially similar to other contemporary comps such as the Miculek and Benny Hill comp) was more effective at reducing the recoil impulse and preventing muzzle movement.    Brakes and comps are loud as fuck.  MSTN's QC comp is supposed to be quieter.

The detailed review is halfway down this thread on page 2: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=184123&page=2

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So okay; how many people are putting brakes on their SPR and Recce Rifle clones?
I am having one of each built and was undecided as to put brakes or flash hiders on 'em. There you have it; that's the hidden reason for this thread.

I have two MSTN built 16.5" (SPRish) mid-length Recce clones uppers with the OPINC Mil brakes. One is in 6.8SPC and the other is in 5.56MM. Might be time to liberate the PRK. Wes is building another mid-length 16.5" Recce clone for me, but this time with the KAC QD M4 brake this time around & a 12" FF Forend. I have enough Colt's and an MRP with A2 Flash suppressors.

Edited to add: I originally wanted an A2 FS on this latest build, but Wes convinced me the KAC was a better choice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I just got off the phone with Phil Seberger last night and apparently he has found a legal way to circumvent California law. I ordered his SPR Suppressor for my Mk12 Mod0 clone and am awaiting the paperwork to get the ball rolling. According to Phil I'm the 3rd person he has ever done a private transfer to, the other 2 were from 5+ years ago so I guess I'm first in line depending on how long it takes ATF to approve the transfer.
As for how quiet his cans are, according to Phil (and I know he is selling his own product but from everybody I have heard that has dealt with him, his should be taken seriously), the Marines did a demonstration for the top brass at Camp Pendleton where they tested a Knights can and one of his side by side. According to him, the Knights can was noticably louder. Apparently its a design feature of his to make the sound impulse from cartridge ignition an ultrasonic sound so that helps to make it much quieter.
I'll let everybody know in about 2-3 months when I get mine on how quiet it is though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats great. You will be the envy of the board. I have to move to a better state. -Justin
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#21]

They can now, i just spoke to Phil yesterday.

I just spoke with Phil Seberger,

If you live outside the state of california and follow the legal steps to obtain a silencer with your local and federal law enforcemet agencies you can now purchase OPSINC Cans, and the Original SPR threaded Break and Silencer systems prefered by operators in special forces groups.

Phil Seberger.Jr
http://opsinc.us/
[email protected]
1-530-474-3777 Home
P.O.Box 377 Shingletown Ca. 96088

If you live in the state of California you will have to be in Law Enforcement and obtain the equipment from your department which it will be registered to.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#22]
You beat me to the post from the hide by a few minutes..
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Now everyone e-mail Phil and order cans to piss off the California antigun enthusists
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top