Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 1:10:19 PM EDT
...or is this covered under a different ATF reg?  I ask because I'm interested in ultimately acquiring a Bushmaster 14.5" upper with a FS but I've yet to see a FS that's 1.5" long.  Besides, I wan't to keep the barrel as close to 14.5" as possible (less weight, easier to move indoors, etc.).

Any links to previous threads or ATF pages are appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
16" Minimum is part of 1934 NFA.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...or is this covered under a different ATF reg?  I ask because I'm interested in ultimately acquiring a Bushmaster 14.5" upper with a FS but I've yet to see a FS that's 1.5" long.  Besides, I wan't to keep the barrel as close to 14.5" as possible (less weight, easier to move indoors, etc.).

Any links to previous threads or ATF pages are appreciated.

Looks like you'll have to do a Form 1 to get what you want.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Phantom flashhiders are long enough to make a 14.5 inch barrel legal length.  You just need to permanently attach it.  Either 1100 degree silver solder it on or blind pin and weld.

Easier still, order the barrel/FH from Bushmaster (or CMMG), they will permanently attach it for you.  Such a deal!

Scot

Edited to add:  What part of WI are you from? I live near Green Bay...  the Packers kicked ass Monday night!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the replies!  I was planning on ordering directly from Bushmaster so the permament installation of the Phantom FS sounds perfect.

@ Shal1: I'm in Kenosha.  Packers looked awesome.  Pity I'm a Bears fan.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That 16" law is so stupid. I guess that's not surprising considering it's the same way with pretty much every piece of gun control legislation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe if enough GI's wanted to own M4's it would be changed to 14.5".
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you think 16" is stupid you'd not have been happy when it was 18" like shotguns!  The law was changed to allow the M1 Carbine to be legal without paying the $200 tax.

-- Chuck

Aaaah. another old fart who still remembers what it used to be

Got my first M1 carbine at the ripe old age of 15, w/money saved from my newspaper route. Ten years later, after the minimum length had been reduced to 16", measured the length and found the barrel on my piece was about 1/4 inch short of 18". Imagine that. A federal law breaking teenager.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top