User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 1:05:09 PM EDT
They worth a crap?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Chinese built. Need I say more?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've read on the board (never handled one), the metal is softer and they are poorly made.  Look on the EE for a used one and spend $20 more for a good one.

Equiptment Exchange
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
just look for a "keyhole" stamped model. in the last year I bought 3 all attached to guns.
All direct from factory. 1 bush, 1 colt, 1 RRA.
ALL handles are the same brand, all keyhole stamped.
shop around, and buy the lowest price keyhole stamped. dont pay more than 80 new.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Tapco handle, I have the $50 one from SARCO which I believe is the same unit.

It is definitely of inferior quality to a Colt or other "name" unit, but I bought it to put on a DPMS .22 M4 and it works on that just fine. I zeroed it at 50 and I leave it alone, so I'm not making adjustments on it.

The unit fit without problems on the DPMS and tightened up satisfactorily and has not come loose. It has also accepted three different kinds of standard AR scope mount bases without problem.

I bought a special rear sight with .040 lower hole and tried to put it in this unit. Surprise, the threading was different, and the screw was soft. The new sight retapped the screw about halfway before friction brought the show to a halt. I was lucky to get it off and get the Chinese peep installed back on. I'll have to get a REAL rear sight screw if I want to use that sight.

I would not recommend this sight/handle for SERIOUS use, but for a .22 or for a plinker or for occasional use I suppose it's okay.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one last summer and sent it right back.  Cheap and the peep was loose.

I was able to buy a few on good ones the EE board
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Got one purposedly for a chopped CH buis (kinda LMT knockoff, just tryin to be cheap), and you get what you pay for really. I cranked down the elev dial to the max and my Bushy still shooting 5 inches high at 50yds.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got one. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine fit on the upper okay and hasn't come loose after shooting. The aperture is snug and works properly. Not loose or anything, and I didn't have any problems zeroing it at 50 yards. YMMV. Any time you buy something inexpensive I think you tend to take a chance on the QC aspect. If you want one, buy it and if it isn't okay when you get it, just send it back. Just my .02 .
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Got one purposedly for a chopped CH buis (kinda LMT knockoff, just tryin to be cheap), and you get what you pay for really. I cranked down the elev dial to the max and my Bushy still shooting 5 inches high at 50yds.  

That's not the fault of the cheap carry handle, that's another problem altogether. I know--I'm in the middle of sorting it out on two guns, one with a "real" carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Tapco email says their carry handles are made by Leapers. I've yet to hear anything good about any Leapers products.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got one and here is what I think about them.

First, the finish is beautiful. Anodized black and very even.

Ok that is the good stuff. Now for the bad. It appears to be cast as I can see the mold marks from either the sprue or from the vents. The rear site is not in spec. The windage knob has a lot of end play and the elevation knob is very poorly marked and completely round as opposed to having the 8/3 marking on the flat. And it is very hard to turn. The elevation knob is numbered from 1 to 10 very lightly.
I tried to put my ARMS scope mount on it and it would not even come close to dropping in the channel. The hole in the carry handle channel is oval side to side. I didn't try to put it on the rifle.

It is made in China so I suspect that it MAY be an Airsoft or paintball gun handle.

I was VERY disappointed in the handle. I expected better quality from Tapco.

This handle would be good for Airsoft or paintball only. I would not trust the site to stay where it is put.

Save your money and buy a good carry handle.

I thought about just replacing the rear site assembly but I would have as much money tied up in a cheapo handle that would not accept my scope mount. So I am going to spend the money and get one that is in spec.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Ditto to what he said above except mine was painted as opposed to anodized.  They do make some what usable sights if you want to cut them down.  They are definitely cast though.  When I went to chop mine up I noticed there were many defects (ie--large bubles) in the metal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Built 2 M4 uppers here in Iraq using the Tapco carry handles. They are marked made in Taiwan. The aperature is really poor quality but they work fine. They zeroed OK and have held their zero for 4 months now. Just replace the aperature with a new A2 aperature. Mine were the same thread pattern as the new A2 aperature. If it's different, change the screw also.

I say they are a great deal for the price if you are building a franken gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
What modification to the rear sight is needed? Just an A2 aperture or A2 NM aperture? Or the entire rear sight?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What modification to the rear sight is needed? Just an A2 aperture or A2 NM aperture? Or the entire rear sight?

Well, no mod is really "needed." The aperture is usable as is. But if you want to change it, you'll also need to change out the screw, and now you're getting almost as much money in the thing as a good handle would have cost you in the first place.

To elaborate on what I said earlier, if you want to put this thing on a gun, zero it at a particular range and then leave it alone, it will prolly do for you. But if you want to make constant adjustments, get something else--I think the soft metal in this thing would wear out pretty quickly with frequent sight setting changes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
just look for a "keyhole" stamped model. in the last year I bought 3 all attached to guns.
All direct from factory. 1 bush, 1 colt, 1 RRA.
ALL handles are the same brand, all keyhole stamped.
shop around, and buy the lowest price keyhole stamped. dont pay more than 80 new.

What does the keyhole look like and where is it located?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top