Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 9:54:39 PM EDT
Does anyone know if any companies or individuals can chrome my barrel and chamber?  I have a ChromeMoly steel barrel, and would like to think that I could get it chrome lined for less than the cost of a new barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't chrome line a barrel after it has been shot, at least not effectively.  If it has been fired, then you should just get a new barrel with chrome lining.  

Also, I believe that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to chrome line a barrel smaller than .30 cal after it has been finished.  Even if it were possible, the cost of chrome lining one single barrel would be too high to justify the cost.  It is far cheaper and easier to buy a new barrel and sell your old one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
a chrome lined barrel is initially manufactured with a bore slightly larger than what it needs to be in the end in order to allow for the thickness of the chrome.  If you chromed a non-lined barrel you'd wind up with a bore that was too small.

Just sell your barrel and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I'm picking up a new barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top