Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 7:36:42 PM EDT
I might be asking for unobtanium, but I have seen several custom uppers that feature a fixed rear sight with a Picatinny rail forward of the sight.

I have tinkered with the RRA uppers and they are good but have things set up that a Co-witness cannot be acheived with a QD optic base.

I am of the mind that any optic that fails or gets wet, muddy, or otherwise disabled should be cast aside in a quick and brusk manner, and go back to the Irons.

I also distrust bolted on sights of any sort, though  the Best units are reliable and robust, I also know my own luck and affilliation with that dirty bastard Murphy.

Short of a custom upper, does anyone know of a company that makes such a thing?

Forgive my ignorance, but from what I have found, things are limited in this regard.

Thanks for the help!
S-28
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just use a flat-top upper with either a Larue or LMT fixed rear sight?   A steel rail-mounted sight isn't going anywhere.

-z
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Zak,

Have had connecting rod bolts loosen up. Scope mount screws loosen up. and barrels that were torqued  to the inth in. lb. loosen up and betray me  at one time or another.

Anything that is ramped up for pressure, also can be ramped down with more ease and is subject to vibration and other environmental realitys.

You gotta link to Larue and LMT?

I accept the fact that I am a caveman on a 19,200 dial up link to the net.
Some direct assistence would be much appreciated!!!!

So many good people, so little Beer to share, and the stupid laws!

Thanks!
Get up this way, and the Beer is on me.
Just bring plenty of ammo, I am jealous of my hoard past sharing 300 rounds!

This critter will be riding in a big sky Rack in the off duty vehicle.

No room for error or accepting malfunctions.

Irons have never lied to me, optics and electronics make it a habit to betray me.
Fasteners have been a bane since I first grasped a screwdrivwer.

You do the math.
Thanks.

S-28
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Zak,

Thanks!!!!

I owe ya one...two.. OK, whatever.
Holler if ya get up this way.

Chow and a beer is on me.

Thanks again!
S-28
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If you still think that a steel sight connect with cross-bolts is too weak:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=200817

Note the TA51 ACOG mount still has part of the upper receiver attached.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Zak,

Thanks again.

S-28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top