Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 1:27:33 PM EDT
What are you favorite configurations?

I have a bushmaster lower and a Kiesler signature series upper that I would like to dress up.  
I also have $1500 burning a hole in my pocket.  Looking online is like being in a grocery store when you are hungry.....all the food looks good.

I am  thinking about buying a 20" or 16" preban barrel and collapsable stock but have seen these things run the gambut in price.  Sometimes it helps to hear what other folks have put together and listen to why.....

Just pretend it is your money, what would you buy, why, how much, and where?   :)

Blair
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, $1500 to blow on a gun...kind of depends on what you want it for, but if I were making a gun for accuracy/cool factor alone.
Let's start from the back.
Stock: Standard A2. Collapsible is cool, but we'll spend the money on other stuff. ($80)
Trigger: I'd really like to try out that new Chip McCormick drop in system. If not that, then a JP Enterprises fire control system. ($190)
Optics: $400-$500 if you want a reasonably good scope.
Bolt Group: LMT Enhanced Bolt Group. Not really necessary, but why not? ($270)
Barrel: Get some insane Kreiger for $400 or so.
Handguards: Standard free float tubes with maybe a screw-on rail. I don't really believe in needing massive amount of rails or accessories on a target gun. ($60)
Brake: JP Enterprises wanna-be Barret .50 cal brake (you'll know what I mean when you see it)
Rest of the money, miscelaneous parts, springs, pins, shipping, etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Caneau/all:

I see I should have provided more info... my apologies.  

The thing is, do I dump the money in one gun with nice toys.... or save the money for optics... another kit, post ban mags,... etc.  ....  guess what I am looking at is the best function at the best value.  The parts for these guns can add up an the value/function may not be there....

I currently have a smallish collection:
Colt pre-ban 20" comp Hbar, Colt green label 9mm, Bushy Lower w/ Keisler flat top upper

As mentioned, I have a bushy lower with a funky Keisler signature series upper (flat top w/ float tube out to the end).  It is useless without optics and I have an opportunity to change it out to a No-ban gun.  ... now what parts to buy?

Parts I am looking at:

Preban barrel (looking for pointers on barrels with good accuracy for money - points for using  bushmaster parts so the gun retains resale value)

Collapsible stock (looking at mag pul v bushmaster - suggestions welcome)

Some type of fore-end (I have a float tube but want to have standard front sight....)

optics....(crave a TA31F group buy scope or EOTECHs)

OR......buy another gun (AR kit, FAL...?)... Lots of new options coming out....  (if I buy solid but lower price options, I could dress out 2 no ban guns....minus the optics)

THEN......
Mags...(currently have ameager supply 7 USGI 30s  - 8 USGI 20s - 3 thermamold 30s
- money saved on the gun can buy mags at currently better prices)

Pretend it is your money what would you buy, why, where, how much?

This may be a good topic in another section (build yourself) but I thought I would try here.
In the end I will choose what to get but would welcome the input and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Blair

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem. Let me give it another shot.

Pre-ban barrels: I just ordered a RRA CAR pre-ban upper with a 16", stainless barrel and a mid-length, free-floating tube. It uses a Wilson barrel and I am pretty sure it will retain its value as well as being very accurate. Oly's another option but I'm not sure what they're offering in the way of pre-ban.

Collapsible stock: I have an Ace SOCOM right now. It's not really collapsible as it is adjustable because it only has about an inch and a half of movement. Still though, the thing really is the most solid AR stock I have ever felt or seen. I heard somewhere it can take down a door in a pinch but I'm not going to test that any time soon. Downside to it is weight. The thing is built like a tank but I'm pretty sure it weighs as much if not more than an A2.

Free float + standard front sight = gas block with detachable sight. That's the easiest way to go and it takes almost no time at all to take off the front sight if needed.

Optics: As nice as the ACOG is, I don't think it offers 4 times the performance over an EOTech yet it costs 4 times the price. I've never been a huge fan of scopes and the EOTech convinced me when I could see the redicule perfectly on a bright, sunny, Vegas afternoon. It's a matter of preferance and application though.

Here's another thing to consider. Build one gun and spend the rest on high quality ammo. I ran into a great quote the other day (this is paraphrased) "Many guys will spend $2000 on a rifle, $1000 on a scope, and then go out and buy a $4 box of ammo. They always come back to me asking why their top of the line rifle is shooting worse than their buddy's unmodified Bushmaster."

Anyway, that's my $.02 worth.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Caneau:

Perfect!!  

Thanks for the input and great response.  

Blair
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
caneau:

Also, do you buy directly from RRA?  Sometimes dealers get discounts off of what is posted on the website and pass the savings along..... any good sources with good prices?

Thanks for the help.

Blair
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought direct from them but that's because I wanted to make sure I got a free float tube and a mid-length upper. It costs a bit more than if you order say through ADCO (http://adcofirearms.com) but I didn't see a way of getting both those features on a CAR with a 16" barrel on Steve's website. Truth be told, even the RRA website doesn't have an option for putting both those features together (you can have either a free float tube or mid-length handguards but not both) so I actually had to call in the order. The downside to ordering through RRA directly besides costing a bit more? Well there were 2 for me. First, since I live in Illinois and RRA is located in Illinois (about 2 hours away), I have to pay the state sales tax. Second, right now they're so busy that it might be up to 2 months before you see your upper. Best advice, check out the ADCO website. If you see what you like, grab it before it's gone. If not, it might be a while before you can fire off that first round.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster 1/7 14.5" M4 barrel with a Vortex or Phantom welded on.  
Troy MRF-C and Magpul grip panels
Bushmaster M16 bolt/carrier group
PRI military latch for charging handle
Magpul M93A stock
Troy Rear sight, Laure mount with the Eotech, foregrip and Surefire scout light

You should be very close to $1500-1600

You should be able to assemble the upper, barrel, forearm and everything else yourself.  You will have an MOA capable CQB gun (my Bushmaster 1/7 M4 does MOA with 75 grain Black Hills ammo) with the ability to shoot the heavy weight ammo for defense or competition.  Id wait to buy more mags when the prices fall in about 2 months or so as supply and demand level off.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Caneua: Thanks for the info.  I will give ADCO a call.

DevL:  Thanks for the post.  This is the type of configuration info I am looking for.  

All:
I am considering foreends and stocks but having trouble finding good reviews.  The magpul stock is sharp and the Troy/LaRue... fore ends are NICE.  However the YHM forend and Vltor stocks to cut some of the cost... is this a case of "get what you pay for"  or are the higher end models just more money..... finding the happy median of upper middle price but Best value is tough.

I would love to a best of review for stocks and foreends... links?  Suggestion?

Blair

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top