Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 11:57:07 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of these two rail systems?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
With the Troy rail you get a continuous upper rail with no gap where the barrel nut is placed.  As well, you can install it without removeing your FSB or barrel nut.  All you have to do is dremel off your delta ring and the spring inside.  It has two "wings" on the side of the lower barrel nut clamp that prevent the rail system from ever being able to rotate the barrel nut.  As well, the lower portion is quickly released for cleaning or installing a grenade launcher by pushing a stainless steel nipple in and pulling the rail section towards the front sight (can use an unfire cartridge or an allen key to press the nipple in).  Installation can easily be done in 5-10 minutes and only an allen key is required.

With the Larue i believe you are required to remove your factory barrel nut and replace it with larues.  As well, you need to remove your flash suppressor (this could be a problem if it's pinned or welded on) and your front site base.  Most of these shouldn't be a problem if your getting the system installed by a gun smith, but it will be more difficult to install yourself than the Troy.  The larue is also a one piece system which means it should be more stable, but unfortuantely you can not remove the lower portion of the rail to clean your barrel or mount an M203 or flare launcher.  This may or may not be a problem depending on what you use your gun for.  Edit: Oh yes, the Larue system also has a pin mechanism that prevents the rail from being able to rotate your barrel nut.

Personally, I purchased the Troy system.  Unfortuantely it took them over 4 weeks to fill my order, but the wait was definately worth it for myself.  The finish is top notch, and their is not a hint of movement in the lower rail.  All in all an excellent system and the continuous rail, while not required, makes mounts such as cantaliever mounts unneeded.  Plus, it looks rather nice to have an uninterupted rail.  The instalation was a breeze, and if you can twist an allen key you can do it in no time at all.

Both rail systems are manufactured in the USA and are both in spec rails (I know the larue is garenteed to be, but i'm not sure about the troy.  No problems mounting anything yet on mine though).

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
TMK, Troy are not in spec.

Sammy
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What dimension is out of spec?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as i can tell, my troy rail is in spec.

Furthermore, this retailer states that all rails are compliant:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=221647
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The TROY MRF series IS NOT a continuous rail. There are only a couple rail's that fit this description (LMT MRP being one of them).

For all intents and purposes, the Troy MRF and similar setups (like the URX II) are considered a continuous rail as they butt up against the receiver.  There is a very, very slight interuption and it is one notch short of being truly uninterupted, but it adds one, maybe two, extra notches and does not have the big gap like traditional handguard systems.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The Troy I bought from Grant (Thanks Grant!) lines up perfectly with the rail on my upper.  There are some slots missing so it is 'less continuous' than some designs like the FIRSH, but the rail itself is continuous unlike other designs such as the LaRue that has nearly a half inch gap between the rails on the upper and on the handguard.

What I like about the Troy is that it is absolutely solid, free-floats the barrel, installs without removing the front sight base, allows access to the barrel for cleaning (or attaching an M203 for those who need that) without tools and best of all just looks damned sexy.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys. They both look like very nice pieces of equipment. As much as I like the LaRue I think a few of things are going to sway me to the Troy, at least for the moment.

1. I want a midlength, and LaRue AFAIK doesn't have a midlength available yet

2. It's not that I'm afraid of taking my FSB off, but it would be nice to not have to mess with it.

3. I also like the idea of being able to detach the lower portion of the rail on the Troy for cleaning, although being a civi I don't see any way I could get a grenade launcher without jumping through hoops...flares could be fun though

I'm still not completely decided yet, but leaning towards the Troy. The "continuous" rail on the Troy isn't a big deal to me since LaRue makes mounts that offer an alternative to needing the continuous rail space.

I suppose it might help if I said that I was planning on eventually adding an EOThingy too, with a LaRue mount of course.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Midlength 10 inch and it's an excellent system.  Let us know how it turns out for you!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Troy I bought from Grant (Thanks Grant!) lines up perfectly with the rail on my upper.  There are some slots missing so it is 'less continuous' than some designs like the FIRSH, but the rail itself is continuous unlike other designs such as the LaRue that has nearly a half inch gap between the rails on the upper and on the handguard.

What I like about the Troy is that it is absolutely solid, free-floats the barrel, installs without removing the front sight base, allows access to the barrel for cleaning (or attaching an M203 for those who need that) without tools and best of all just looks damned sexy.  

mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/HomelandDefenseCarbine.jpg

I have an MX and CX, but that picture of the M on the midlength is so sweet I can hear guitars wailing in the background....

Corey

PS  I love my two MRF's.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/HomelandDefenseCarbine.jpg

I have an MX and CX, but that picture of the M on the midlength is so sweet I can hear guitars wailing in the background....

Just wait til it's done.  I've got a Vortex on the way from Grant and I'll be adding a Larue BUIS and a coyote brown Magpul stock once I can find somebody who has them in stock.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanx Grant. I could be mistaken.

Sammy

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sammy

Hmmm think you are mistaken. The TD VG (the true test) fits perfectly on the TROY rail.

Since I am a dealer for both I can help out. The TROY MRF series IS NOT a continuous rail. There are only a couple rail's that fit this description (LMT MRP being one of them).

Both systems are quality setup, but feel each has their target audience. The TROY appeals to folks that cannot (or don't want to pay) remove they FSB or FS.

The LaRue Tactical FF rail system is a more stable platform (IMHO) and is lighter than the TROY MRF...

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I vote for the Troy, if weight's not an issue.It's new, non traditional, no nut, no ring,semi continous rail.Don't forget it too, has ears to stop rail movement.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Do any of you know of an online source that has the Troy MRF-C in stock?

I'm also looking for any feeback about the Troy single point sling. It looks good and am thinking of replaceing my CQB Solutions MOUT/GG&G setup with it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got my MRF-MX yesterday:

I like it a lot, though I need to get myself a front sight.
It is definately solid, bottom rail and all.
I got it because of the continuous rail (yes it's missing one notch) and because I like the looks. I'll be adding an Aimpoint and eventually a Surefire.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#17]
So, what is the weight difference between the two?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top