Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 7:42:38 PM EDT
I've been going through old posts on some of the advantages of using an H-buffer. Given the number of CAR buffers that I would like to convert, the least desirable option is to buy all new H-buffers. So I was wondering if anybody had successfully converted a normal CAR buffer to an H-buffer by either adding or changing the type/number of weights in the buffer body - and if so, what components were used.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Cylindrical tungsten fishing weights.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Cylindrical tungsten fishing weights.

Where and how much?  I didn't know such a thing existed, but with all of the stuff about "green" ammo, I am not suprised that such a thing exists.  Wal-Mart?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, what size? I've been looking, and it looks like these are the best candidate:

http://www.cabelas.com/information/Fishing/ExcaliburTungstenWeights0017580.html
http://www.lakeforktackle.com/weights.htm
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to take a trip out to Galyans and WalMart to see what they have. Looks like the weights in the original tube are 0.54" in diameter (with a inner buffer diameter of 0.57") and there's about 2.2" of overall to work with in the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have done it by replacing the cylinders with 50 cal lead balls that I smash with a vice until they are the right diameter to fit in the buffer.  It is just over 110 grams when I do that.

IDHunt
--
The Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited by Law

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
After a day of running around to different sporting goods stores, I'm happy to report that the project is a success. I ended up using 3/4 ounce Excalibur Tungsten Barrel Weights which I found at Galyans. I picked the 3/4 ounce weight over the 1 ounce weight because dimensionally, three of the 3/4 ounce weights would fit inside a CAR buffer body. The leftover space was then filled in with #8 shot from a cannibalized shotgun shell.

Total weight after the transplant was 4.2 ounces which is a little heavier than a 3.8 ounce H-buffer. Compared with lead, the tungsten weights aren't cheap - I paid $3.99 for two weights - so total cost to retrofit each buffer was $6 plus whatever a shotgun shell cost.

I might have to try IDHunt's idea as National Bullet is down the street and they have .530 diameter lead balls at 25 for $8. If you don't mind me asking, how many lead balls did you end up using per buffer?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think that lead would be a very good idea.  It is just going to peen and then the buffer will jam up and no longer be antibounce.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top