Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 10:26:15 AM EDT
I'm looking to build two match grade uppers (one in 5.56 and one in 6.8) in the very near future.  I haven't fully decided on 18" or 20" for either yet.  But, I'm looking to squeeze as much accuracy out of each.  Any recommendations?  I haven't been following the development of the SAM-R but the 20" barrels seem to the choice right now.

I currently have a 20" Colt heavy barrel in a SPR Mod 0 upper that I've been waiting to rebarrel.  I don't mind the look of a 20" barrel for this setup, but would like to know if I'm loosing anything by dropping to 18".

As for the 6.8mm, I'm totally up in the air.

-Red-
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info Wes,

I was just reviewing the 6.8 uppers that you have advertised and noticed that most, if not all, appear to have mid-lenght gas systems.  Is that the standard?  Or is a rifle length system a possiblity for an 18" or 20" bbl?  

Is moving the gas block a waste of time for the longer barrel lenght?

-Red-
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info Wes,
I was just reviewing the 6.8 uppers that you have advertised and noticed that most, if not all, appear to have mid-lenght gas systems.  Is that the standard?  Or is a rifle length system a possiblity for an 18" or 20" bbl?  

Is moving the gas block a waste of time for the longer barrel lenght?

-Red-

Not Wes. My 16.5" 6.8SPC and its 5.56MM twin (MSTN built), has led me to be a believer in the mid-length for 16" barrels. I have another Recce in progress with Wes, that is mid-length. I believe all the MSTN (6.8SPC) 16.5/18" and LMT MRP 16/18" (5.56MM) are mid-length. The Model 1 uppers, I don't have a clue about, someone else can chime in about them. I will say, that between the two Colt M4 uppers (carbine length) and the MTSN mid-lengths, the mid-lengths win hands down. IMHO..
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as I know, there is no "rifle length" in 6.8SPC.  My 18" barrel from Wes has something closer to a mid-length gas system.

For 5.56, go rifle when you can (17-20"), then midlength when you can (16"), and finally carbine only for anything that a mid is too long for.

-z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top