Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 12:42:32 AM EDT
Has any body else recieved a BM upper that is dark purple?
What about Black?

What color are the suppose to be???
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Bushy lower 2 weeks ago that turned purple under light, and with oil applied. It is back at Bushmaster for replacement.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The lowere I got at the same time are black
uppers are dark purple
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had several Bushmaster uppers and lowers.  Some started off black as night and slowely turned purple over several months.  I suspect the 'black' die they use after annodizing is really a very dark purple.  Over time and with cleaning some of the die is either removed or changed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#4]
My pre-ban Bushy is purple. I thought they had this thing figured out now.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#5]
In 1992 I purchased a new Bushmaster rifle, the upper and lower are very black. Last November I purchased a Bushmaster stripped lower and it is a grayish color, almost matches a Colt upper I have. I recently purchased another Bushmaster lower and it has a little bit of purple to it, I'll just live with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Both my BM uppers are dark purple. The lower is black.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 4 lowers all black (including one preban).  4 uppers (2 A2, 2 A3) all black and one A2 upper that looks brown.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I only have a bushmaster upper, but it's black.  I have two bushmaster lowers being shipped in right now, so we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a complete Bushy in May '03, it was all black.  I don't have the upper anymore, so I can't comment on that, but after over a year, the lower was still dark black.  It was Krylon'd about 4 weeks ago though, so I guess it doesn't matter either way now.  Though I'd be pissed if one day when the Krylon wears off I look and see a purple AR.  Maybe I got lucky.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My upper is pure black, just like my lower. The complete rifle was purchased in early 2000:

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#11]
purple? i don't know I got mine a few months ago and I see no purple, it's black and evil like it should be
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
The purple hue occurs when the hard anodizing at the factory is not done right.
I forgot the details, but if someone would care to elaborate.........

edited to add: If it's purple, send the Mutha' back.
Manufacturers are usually pretty good about this.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The purple snake is back and meaner than ever! My Bushy takes on the royal hue when it's freshly oiled. I think it's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The purple hue occurs when the hard anodizing at the factory is not done right.
I forgot the details, but if someone would care to elaborate.........

edited to add: If it's purple, send the Mutha' back.
Manufacturers are usually pretty good about this.

Didn't someone also say it is when the anodizing bath was reused for too many batches?  I've also heard that getting a perfect black anodizing was much harder and more expensive to do.  I don't know who to believe, but them again, I don't care if my receiver are purple, as long as they function as they are supposed to.

Violet was my school color anyway.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
HAHAHA...watch out for those purple snakes I heard they are poisonous.

MT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top