Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2004 7:19:34 PM EDT
I seen these adjustable buttstocks on the Tapco site and want to know if anyone has any experience with them.  They are cheap..19.99....and I think they are made from plastic and 4 position adjustable.  Are these things junk or a good deal?  Is the color correctly hued to match with other od green stocks?

thanks,

Wes
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
They rattle like mad, and are pretty junky. Still, they do work.

I don't know if anyone's tried them yet, but Tapco's got another stock that at least looks pretty solid: http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=ZSTK440102&rc=HL094A
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]

what parts rattle so bad?  The tube and buffer or the exterior stock assembly?

Yea, I looked at the one you posted, it's nice.  Kinda want to try od green, but I may go with one of tapco's collapsible or get the ace skeleton type stock...longer one.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#3]
There have been a couple of posts about these things breaking in use; one on the plastic stock piece, and another about the metal tube snapping, if I remember correctly.

While 19.95 isn't a bad price, when you add in TAPCOs high shipping costs, it ain't quite so good a deal
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, thanks!  The way I see it a BAD deal is a BAD deal no matter how inexpensive it is.  I have been looking at getting some green furniture from RRA.  It looks like the standard issue in most regards except that it is green and the price seems good.  I understand RRA makes good stuff so after I decide whether or not to keep my bushmaster dissi upper or trade it off for a dpms M4 type upper I will probably just order their stuff.

Thanks,

Maybe I should 'Just say no to Tapco'

Wes
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard of the Chicom stock tubes cracking and splitting as well.  

As far as you rupper, I'd keep the Bushy Dissipator rather than get a DPMS M4 upper.  The DPMS won't be chrome lined like the Bushy and the Bushy is made of a stringer steel.  Unless, of course, you get a CMMG M4 upper made for them by DPMS.  In that case. the CMMG would be worth it as it is made of the same grade of steel, is also chrome lined, and has the faster 1/7 twist so you can use heavier bullets.

BTW, where in Alabama are you?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in a small town called Opp.  It's down close to the FL line on Hwy 331.  Yea, I like the bushy upper but the thing is pissin me off.  I have had to adjust the windage almost all of the way to the left to get it to get close to zero.  It is a standard A2 upper and I think carry handles look funny with scopes on top but I may have to fit one on it.  I try to zero the thing in at 25 mtrs and it shoots high and to the right at 100 yds.  I wasted all of around 200 rds so far.  I gotta go find some more m193 tommorow after work if I can.  Weird as it seems I can fire a volley of 3 rds of my old reloads I had for my mini 14 through it and usually 2 of the rounds will touch each other and one will fall about an inch away.  I shot all of them up too.  If I get back into reloading for this thing I will have to tone the loads down.  Almost all the ones I had left split the case necks when I fired them.  Any ideas on what I need to do?  Maybe the barrel isnt indexed right or something.  I dont have the tools to tear into it to find out, I dont know if I should try anyway or just get a different upper and can this one.  I seen a bushmaster upper at a local (35 miles away) shop but he wants 350 for it, a preban m4 wannabe I think, and it doesnt even have a bolt group and charging handle.  Maybe he might trade with me I dont know.  I always shot expert marksman when I was in the air force but this thing is making me mad.  My AK groups as good as this thing does!  Anyway if you have any ideas let me know.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the FSB is not indexed proeprly.  You can always send it back to Bushmaster for reindexing.  They have really good custmer service and wil usually honor it even if the warranty is expired, so they would more than likely fix the problem for free.  

You could also get a flattop receiver at the same time and have them swap it out for you.  The railed receveir wil be better for mounting optics.  They will do any smithing you need for free if you buy the parts from them.

Also, check out the hometown forums on these boards.  It's good to get in touch with fellow ARFcomers in your area.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll check out the hometown forums.  I doubt bushmaster will help me at all.  I bought the upper from a pawn shop.  It was one part of someones ar-15 project and the shop seperated the uppers and kinda parted it out.  I got the upper with bolt and handle for 385.  I thought I did ok.  It has had very little use.  There was no carbon or wear inside the receiver, wasn't anything on the bolt face either so I knew it wasnt shot much.

Anyway, I am gonna do some more testing and see how it works out.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
called bushmaster today, you were right.  After finally getting through to customer service I talked to a lady who was very nice and seemed interested in helping me.  She gave me a return number so I can send the upper back to be reindexed.  I asked about having the barrel threaded and installing a flash hider but she said if it was a postban barrel that they would not do it.

Anyway, I may look more into this as well.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought one of these greeny things. When I get it, i'll let you know how it is. I couldnt say no to the cheap price.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one of the Tapco stocks.  I will never own another one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
called bushmaster today, you were right.  After finally getting through to customer service I talked to a lady who was very nice and seemed interested in helping me.  She gave me a return number so I can send the upper back to be reindexed.  I asked about having the barrel threaded and installing a flash hider but she said if it was a postban barrel that they would not do it.

Anyway, I may look more into this as well.

Wes

That's good news.  They seem to be giving different info about threading barrels, though, depending on who you talk to.  Some have goten them to do the threading and some have not.  If you want it threaded, call back and talk to someone in their Tech dept.  I'm pretty sure they will authorize it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top