Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 12:24:56 PM EDT
I switched the buttstock on my SPR from a GreenO Crane clone to a VLTOR A1 Modstock and I'm having mixed feelings.  I had the collapsable on there and with it, cheek weld was good, eye relief was good (in one position) and the rifle functioned great.  The collapsable, never moved position and with the ban sunset coming, I figured I had better places to use the collapsable.  I got an opportunity to get the A1 Modstock for a good price, so I got it.

The VLTOR is nearly identical in pull length as the collapsable was, cheek weld feels great and it gives me good eye relief.  Haven't shot it yet, I'll test it out tomorrow morning.

I guess my only problem is that it just doesn't look...........................well..................natural, for lack of a better term.  I'm not big on looks too much and I definitely don't own safe queens.  But my first impression was......................................WTF?!?!

Bottom line is this:  Cheek weld hasn't changed, if anything it is better with the A1 Modstock.  Eye relief hasn't changed, as the A1 Modstock is the same length as the collapsable, in the position I always had it in.  If it doesn't change the function of the rifle, I have nothing to bitch about, except for my own little vanity issue.

I guess I'll just have to get over it.  I'm sure the looks of the stock will grow on me.  It had better - I just ordered another for my SAM-R clone build, which will come together ASAP after Sept. 13th passes.

Let me know what you think.  Did I do right or not

With Crane clone for comparison:
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Mongo,
I think they both look good!  When I first looked at the A1 VLTORs I was not real sure myself, but one of my future builds will most likely have one.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent 20 of the last 25 years hating the collapsible stock on my Colt CAR-15, and for me what "looks and feels RIGHT" are the old M16 stocks with rubber buttplates I've been using the last 5 years.  I want to try the VLTOR A1 myself, just so I won't feel like such a dinosaur...

Don't second guess your decision until you get some real trigger time on the new combo!  I stopped worrying about "what looks natural" when the topic is hotrodded Arfs a long time ago.

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I prefer the look of the VLTOR.

Those Crane-type stocks look comfortable, but they have also always looked so PLAIN to me, somehow.  I guess I am just afflicted with the dreaded BLING disease.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never used either, though I'd like too...but I like the A1.  The Crane is what I've seen a lot of pics of, but it seems better w/ the A1.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Crane on mine, I love it. Where is the poll?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where is the poll?

How's that?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Use an old A1 buttstock.  Just freshen it up a bit, if it's old and worn.   Those VLTOR stocks are ugly.   The VLTOR collapsibles are borderline as far as looks go.   I like the look and feel of the crane stock.   I have the old A2 buttstock and a crane.    Just MHO on aesthetics, not function.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the looks of the new stock.

Then again, I would have spent the money on a table ;)
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I would take a standard old A1 stock over both of them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Crane, looks good.  I have never used one, but I think that they should have angled the butt plate.  Wish you didn't have to take the stock off to get the goodies out, but that is what gives it the smooth look.

Vltor, good stock, 100% function, looks a little funky, but they definately have a good cheek weld.  Lightweight.

A1,  also a good option, cheep, and never looks bad.

I voted Vltor.  But in the end, I have to say...................MAGPUL!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I only wish that Magpul would come out with a tail assembly that had 2 compartments for 123 lithium cells.   One is probably in the works knowing Rich and knowing that the tail assembly is removable.

But that desire for the battery compartments certainly didn't keep me away from getting 2 Magpuls, DARN nice stock with a great cheek weld for a collapsable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Mongo-

You can have the best of both worlds.

Do what I did, put a colloapsible buffer tube on your rifle and switch back a forth between the Vltor stock and the Crane. If you have the need for a collasible stock the crane stock can be slide on within a few seconds. The beauty about the Vltor rifle stocks, they fit on any rifle or carbine buffer tubes. It only takes a second to switch between the two. I have two rifle vltor stocks and after the sunset I still use them on my carbine buffer tubes.

ls
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#13]
What's in that blue box on the bottom cabinet shelf?

To me, the Crane had a more comfortable cheekweld although looking head-on they have the same angle.   Its removable rubber buttplate is stickier.  I found that accessing batteries (even though you have to completely remove the stock) was much faster, and easier on the fingers- than the Vltor's extremely tight caps with their itty bitty finger tabs.    Collapsed, you have a few less inches of bulk.  

The long Vltor will hold cigars, more batteries, or other items that won't fit in a Crane, it has the QD attachment points, and also has the clubfoot handle for prone shooting.   The Vltor is stronger and more secure if you need to strike, tomahawk, or play impromptu range hockey.

If it were just for looks, then the Crane looks more authentic as an SPR.   But looks aren't important; How you plan to use this rifle should dictate what you choose.   If different items will get your job done, then there's no problem with picking for looks.   When I see a long Vltor, the first thing that pops in my mind is, "Post Ban".  

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:14:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Mongo-

You can have the best of both worlds.

Do what I did, put a colloapsible buffer tube on your rifle and switch back a forth between the Vltor stock and the Crane. If you have the need for a collasible stock the crane stock can be slide on within a few seconds. The beauty about the Vltor rifle stocks, they fit on any rifle or carbine buffer tubes. It only takes a second to switch between the two. I have two rifle vltor stocks and after the sunset I still use them on my carbine buffer tubes.

ls

This is a great idea!  It never crossed my mind to do something like this.

I love the picture, though.  Actually a guy I work with and I have a similiar concept going on in our heads.  We call it the "Combat Zone".  It would have a fully functional gunsmith shop with indoor and outdoor ranges.  It would also have martial arts studios for all kinds of disciplines.  Throw in some indoor paintball & laser tag.  All this fun in one place!

Only problem is one of us has to win the lottery to get the project off the ground.

What's in that blue box on the bottom cabinet shelf?

That's a yoga brick.  I know what it is, but I don't know what it is used for.  Gonna have to ask the wife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top