Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 7:33:22 AM EDT
Hi guys,
I use my AR for predator calling mostly.  It's a 16" stainless fluted flat top.  I think the barrel is .940 at the muzzle and I'm guessing 1 1/16" behind the gas block.  Even though it's fluted, it's frickin heavy.  When calling, I might walk a long way.  So, I'm thinking of building a new upper to my specs.  Specifically, a hi-rise upper, a lighter barrel, some kind of low profile gas block and a free float handguard that I'll like better than my current one.
My question is, who sells a light or medium weight barrel without the standard front sight?
I've seen that ADCO has a RRA varmint barrel, but I'm guessing that varmint = heavy.  I guess I'll set my accuracy requirement as 1 MOA out to 100 yds.  Not a very strict requirement, but I live in a hilly, wooded area so I often can't see past 50 yds.
Could I buy a CAR barrel like ADCO has listed, then remove the front sight and put on a gas block of my choice?  Are there plenty of aftermarket gas blocks to fit that diameter?

Thanks for any advice,
Jim
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I went through the same thing, I ditched my BULL barrel for an HBAR and have never looked back.

I just replaced it with a 16in chromoly barrel.  I put a rifle length FF handguard on and I just cut down the FSB so that it would fit.  That is one option, not as pretty.  There are a few low profile gasblocks available that are pretty easy to replace the  FSB with.

I happen to have a brand new YHM two piece low profile block laying around if you are interested I'd sell it for $25 shipped.

Here's my varmint gun, it's easily an MOA rifle. It wieghs about 9lbs now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Model 1 has a 16 Inch lightweight ChromeMoly.  Mine shoots well with my 62 grain handloads.  You can either buy the upper or just the barrel.  I made the mistake of buying the upper and had to buy a new lower to go with it.  (I couldn't stand to have half of an AR around).
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out White Oak Armament, they are doing an 18" SS PacNor SPR contour barrel for my next build. I ordered from them because I wanted a 1x10 twist, 18" length and SPR contour. I just finished a build with an Olympic Arms 20" SS SUM that was cut to 18", turned to .820 under the handguards and frozen. The WOA barrel is more cost effective and is threaded, plan to mount a suppressor on this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top