Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 3:56:33 PM EDT
I have finally decided to buy a rifle... I am having a hard time deciding what to buy.  An AK-47 or and AR-15 any help or advice on why and where to buy these would be appreciated... thank you all for your help and support in advance
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both... NOOOOOB
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm new too.  That wasn't a very responsive or polite reply.
I guess I'm a "NOOOOOOB" too., but at least I'm going to try to answer the gentleman's quetions. So here goes:
A quality AK variant
Good:  More robust and reliable, less sensative to stoppages and more tolerant to dirt, dust, etc.
Bad:  Accuracy (3-5 MOA), less ergonomic (safety).

Quality AR:
Good: accuracy (1-2 MOA), ergonomic, lots of accessories (rails, mounts, etc.);
Bad:  Small parts, stoppage and foreign matter sensitive, not as reliable unless better maintained.

Also, the round normally associated with the 7.62x39 is a better brush, etc., penetrator, but may not produce the wounds associated with a higher velocity projectile such as the 5.56 in the AR.  Ballistically, the AR round is high velocity, flat shooting, but deflects easily firing through cover.  The AK round is a standard .30 cal, intermediate cartridge that cuts through cover better, and retains better stability through cover, but isn't as steller a geletin block destroyer.
Hope that helps more than  "NOOOOOOOB"
AB

Quoted:
Get both... NOOOOOB

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of lately.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have finally decided to buy a rifle... I am having a hard time deciding what to buy.  An AK-47 or and AR-15 any help or advice on why and where to buy these would be appreciated... thank you all for your help and support in advance

I couldn't decide either so I got one of these............

Seriously though, it's like arguing foreign vs. domestic cars, off road or street trucks.  Shoot both and buy the one you like.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
In my defense, g3n7 sits right next to me at work and I am taking him shooting next weekend.. Just poking some fun at him, so lay off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get both... NOOOOOB

You still taking me out shooting to try the your AK and your AR next Weekend ? ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome g3n7!

Get the AR first because they are easier to reconfigure so you can get your rifle exactly how you want it.

Then, after you are finished with that buy an AK
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
That's the plan!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
OK anyone got any good sites to get the parts and do you suggest buying it as an assembled weapon or buying the individual parts and putting it together piece by piece.

Any info would be great.. I am willing to spend some  money but i am worried about product quality
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hang around here a bit longer and you will find out that the statement was not meant to be rude.  It is the standard reply here on ARFCOM when someone is torn between two choices.  He might as well get both.  Eventually he will anyway, so why not get both in one fell swoop?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OK anyone got any good sites to get the parts and do you suggest buying it as an assembled weapon or buying the individual parts and putting it together piece by piece.

Any info would be great.. I am willing to spend some  money but i am worried about product quality

buy a assembly DVD or book first if this is new to you, but not difficult to assemble
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, sorry.  I've seen some pretty unbelievable dog cussings here so I didn't know.  BTW, if he is sitting next to you at work, you may be the person to ask.  I'm sure he trusts your opinion enough on something this basic not to have to second guess it here.  h=85%

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hang around here a bit longer and you will find out that the statement was not meant to be rude.  It is the standard reply here on ARFCOM when someone is torn between two choices.  He might as well get both.  Eventually he will anyway, so why not get both in one fell swoop?  hr
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Oh, sorry.  I've seen some pretty unbelievable dog cussings here so I didn't know.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hang around here a bit longer and you will find out that the statement was not meant to be rude.  It is the standard reply here on ARFCOM when someone is torn between two choices.  He might as well get both.  Eventually he will anyway, so why not get both in one fell swoop?  

Well, there's that too, but it's just part of the fun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#14]
It strikes me as odd that two people that sit next to each other would communicate via the internet on this forum and act like they don't know each other.  I guess this is a prank of some sort, albeit a very simplistic prank not requiring much effort, thought, or imagination.  Is this normal here?

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, sorry.  I've seen some pretty unbelievable dog cussings here so I didn't know.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hang around here a bit longer and you will find out that the statement was not meant to be rude.  It is the standard reply here on ARFCOM when someone is torn between two choices.  He might as well get both.  Eventually he will anyway, so why not get both in one fell swoop?  hr

Well, there's that too, but it's just part of the fun. hr
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#15]
TRAP!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
we do sit next to each other at work but as most normal people at night after work we do go home to our family and still enjoy to speak on topics.   Please remember it is nice to have one persons opinion but when there are 55,000 people at your finger tips it is hard not to look for a second opinion
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#17]

It strikes me as odd that two people that sit next to each other would communicate via the internet on this forum and act like they don't know each other. I guess this is a prank of some sort, albeit a very simplistic prank not requiring much effort, thought, or imagination. Is this normal here?

<sarcasm>Yep, you are right dude, one BIG prank. You got me! Wow, that was the best damn prank I have ever done. Too  bad that cyber-sleuth Airbiscuit uncovered the truth before I could pull my prank on other individuals.</sarcasm>

Just like I said, I was giving a buddy a hard time on the web. I am truly sorry I committed such a heinous crime.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Welcome.

Look throught the picture thread under "ar15-" area to decide which style of AR you like and what you want to use it for.

After you purchase your first AR, you can shop for an AK rifle. Typical SAR-1, Romaninan variety, about $350 out the door. It's one of those rifles that you have to buy one to shoot and blast to have fun with and throw it back in the closet.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#19]
[/Hijacked_Tread]

If anyone has and good sites for where I could get a good price on the parts... thank you very much
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Welcome, both of you.

I guess you need to figure out what type of shooting you're going to be doing before deciding on which to purchase first.  That will also give you an insight as to what configuration you'll need.

Good luck.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, that's great.  Thanks!

Quoted:

It strikes me as odd that two people that sit next to each other would communicate via the internet on this forum and act like they don't know each other. I guess this is a prank of some sort, albeit a very simplistic prank not requiring much effort, thought, or imagination. Is this normal here?

<sarcasm>Yep, you are right dude, one BIG prank. You got me! Wow, that was the best damn prank I have ever done. hat

Just like I said, I was giving a buddy a hard time on the web. I am truly sorry I committed such a heinous crime.
hinking.gif

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
[/Hijacked_Tread]

If anyone has and good sites for where I could get a good price on the parts... thank you very much

Yes actually.

click this link jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to the board.  Guess you could call me a NOOOOOB too.  I've been called worse.  I suppose it depends on what you want a rifle for.  The debate can go on for days.  The truth is nobody can answer the question but you.  
My 2 cents.  The AR is a better rifle.  It is more accurate, versitile, and the ammo/parts/mags are all around you.  Both rifles are combat proven all over the world.  Both are ruged and dependable.  
For range shooting, it really doesn't make that big of difference.  For defense, it is the AR all the way everyday of the week
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
How much do you want to spend?  What will the rifle be used for?

You can get an AK with a lot of accessories for the price of (or cheaper than) a basic AR.   But whatever you choose, remember that you usually get what you pay for.  

Does Hakko make a fake Cobra yet?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
DON'T BUY EITHER ONE!

You are making a big mistake.  You'll kick yourself for doing it.

After Monday they will be laying in the roads and in our schools and everywhere.  Just pick up the ones you want FREE.  Way better heh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top