Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 10:24:01 AM EDT
I have an Bushy M4 post ban. I made some changes, and now with the ban going out, I'm looking to make other changes. I want to go with a pre ban barrel and I need to know who makes some of the best barrels. Also, I need to know the difference between the muzzel brake and the flash hiders.  I have a 14" post ban barrel, do I have to get a 16" barrel if I want to be able to change over flash hiders?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Define 'Best Barrels'
Best Price?
Best Reliability?
Best Accuracy?
Best Bang for the Buck?
Best Adherance to the military specifications?

All of these are the 'best' and they have different answers.

Muzzle brakes are devices designed to reduce recoil, flash supressors reduce/eliminate muzzle flash.

I have a 14" post ban barrel, do I have to get a 16" barrel if I want to be able to change over flash hiders?

Yes.  For barrels below 16" the muzzle device must be permanently attached - unless you've gotten a tax stamp for a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, would you suggest staying with a bushy barrel or going to someone like armalite?
Thanks for your intel.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Forest, I and others prefer the Bushmaster barrels.

- they have the looser Nato M16 chamber for reliable feeding

- they have the better 4150 barrel steel

- they have chromelined chambers for more reliable extraction

- they have chromelined bores for longer life, easier cleaning.

I would suggest you look at a M4 with a flash suppressor permantely attached, or a superlightweight 16 with a removable flash suppressor.

Either way, the bayonet is a problem since it's setup for a 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yep.

The Colts are very good - but I dont' think they are worth twice the cost of the equivalent Bushmaster barrel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

The Colts are very good - but I dont' think they are worth twice the cost of the equivalent Bushmaster barrel.

Numrich has preban Colt 1/7 HBARS around $180.  Fulton sold me one of their $199 Colt A2 1/12 barrels for $160 during their last sale...that barrel put 5 rounds of Win 45 inside 1.25 inches yesterday...at 200 yards!  If you look around, you can drive a "Colt" for less than the retail price of a BM tube.
Paladin
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Just be sure of what you are getting when you buy a Colt barrel.

Not all of them are fully chromelined.   (bore AND chamber)

I'm not sure on the chambering either, but I don't know off the top of my head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top