Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 5:59:37 AM EDT
 I just got my collapsible stock for Banless M4orgery build. It's the 6 position Bushmaster style reinforced fiberlite stock. My thinking here, is that the buffer tube is slightly smaller or the stock hole is a little too big. Is there anything I can do to reduce the wobble and rattle affect? What tricks have you used?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used lengthwise strips of electrical tape to tighten up a wobbly stock.  Holds up pretty well and is hardly noticable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What tricks have you used?

I replaced mine with a Magpul M93A.  Some people have wrapped tape around the end of the buffer tube with limited success.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Vltor.  That'll fix it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
lengthwise strips of electrical tape to tighten up a wobbly stock

After all day in the sun that electrical tape can shift around. The exposed adhesive attracts dirt & grit... or so I've heard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

To a degree.  My VLTOR, while copmletely kick-ass, does move ever so slightly when I attempt to rotate it.  But if I don't try to do so I don't even notice it.  But I think all stock, even the tightest ones, excepting the M93, will have that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Most people would not do this to there new stock unless they knew it would work, BUT if your carefull you can use vise grips and bend the edge of the tube along the 6 holes outward on both sides just enough to actualy snug the stock to the tube. It works quit well. i have a M4 stock i received from EE and it rattle like a train. I bent the edges and now its quiet and tight. If you do it right, you wont even be able to notice it once the stock is back on the tube.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Are they really that stable?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are they really that stable?

More stable than a traditional CAR stock, it moves, but is not loose to the point of rattling on the tube.  The M93 is the only collpasioble stock I know of that completely eliminates any movement.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm getting a Magpul M93A.  Tried a friends at the range and it's great!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm getting a Magpul M93A.  Tried a friends at the range and it's great!

I just got mine, and I think I love it.  I have two problems with it
1) It's heavy
2) it's long

It is longer than a traditional M4 in the fully closed and longer than an A2 in the fully open positions.  I personally would rather see it shorter in both regards.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is longer than a traditional M4 in the fully closed and longer than an A2 in the fully open positions.  I personally would rather see it shorter in both regards.

Why would it being longer than the A2 when fully opened be an issue?  There are 6 positions in between fully closed and fully open.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Most people would not do this to there new stock unless they knew it would work, BUT if your carefull you can use vise grips and bend the edge of the tube along the 6 holes outward on both sides just enough to actualy snug the stock to the tube. It works quit well. i have a M4 stock i received from EE and it rattle like a train. I bent the edges and now its quiet and tight. If you do it right, you wont even be able to notice it once the stock is back on the tube.

Thanks for the tip! I just did this and it works very well. My first attempt made the stock very tight/stable, but it was a little too hard to extend/collapse so I bent them back in a little bit and now there is probably only half a milimeter of movement on the tube. If you do it to a 6 position stock, do it BEHIND the third hole and you will not even see the marks on the buffer tube, as the stock covers it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would it being longer than the A2 when fully opened be an issue?  There are 6 positions in between fully closed and fully open.

Because I assume that the reason it's longer when closed is to make it longer when open.  I'd like it to be A2 length when fully open and M4 length when fully closed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Viper5194,

Thanks for the tip.

Alien,

I'm glad it worked for you too.... I'm going try it, as soon as I get done horsin' around the Net.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I went for the ACE SOCOM stock:

Man, this thing is SOLID !!! If you want a robust collapsing stock, this is the one to go for... no cheapy plastic here. Only downside is a bit more weight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... no cheapy plastic here.

I would hardly call the plastic on a Magpul or VLTOR stock "cheapy".
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Anybody know about how much the standard M4 6-position stocks weight with buffer and spring?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Get a magpul m93a
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
lengthwise strips of electrical tape to tighten up a wobbly stock

After all day in the sun that electrical tape can shift around. The exposed adhesive attracts dirt & grit... or so I've heard.

I use fairly short strips under the plastic. I haven't had a problem, but I do live in MT, the heat usually isn't much of a problem.

And I say, NO FAIR  just recommending another stock. YOU CHEATERS!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the tip! I just did this and it works very well. My first attempt made the stock very tight/stable, but it was a little too hard to extend/collapse so I bent them back in a little bit and now there is probably only half a milimeter of movement on the tube. If you do it to a 6 position stock, do it BEHIND the third hole and you will not even see the marks on the buffer tube, as the stock covers it.

When I got my telestock, it was pretty loose, but I wasn't too worried about it.  Just worried enough to try something simple, if possible.
I didn't want to try electrical tape to tighten it either, because I didn't trust it to stay put.
I searched for this thread because I half-remembered viper5194's comment, and was curious.

This really works well!
I was amazed at how easily it tightened up my stock.  Didn't take much force to do at all, either.

Thanks to viper5194 and Alien for the 3rd hole advice!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

When collapsed, how much longer is it than an M4 collapsed?  Rough guess...an inch or two?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
And I say, NO FAIR  just recommending another stock. YOU CHEATERS!!

He called me a cheater!!

Sorry man, no hijack intended.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When collapsed, how much longer is it than an M4 collapsed?  Rough guess...an inch or two?

www.militarymorons.com/weapons/weapons.2.html
If you click on that and scroll down, there's a pic of several stocks side by side.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.militarymorons.com/weapons/weapons.2.html
If you click on that and scroll down, there's a pic of several stocks side by side.

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top