Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 8:11:17 PM EDT
I just purchased a flattop upper from a source that shall remain nameless, and upon install on my XM15 lower it is loose. the pivot section, and rear section for that matter that slides into the lower is a hair too thin...Is there anything I can do or do I need to junk it? I've emailed the company to see what I can do, and have yet to receive a response..

Your thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read you want some play between the upper and lower, unless it super loosey goosey?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried an Accu-wedge?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have you tried an Accu-wedge?

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Another possibility is to put a small o-ring on the pivot lug. This will absorb some of that wiggle and won't cause any problem with the gun.

Learned that little trick here...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I found that last night doing a google search, it seems to work. I think that did the trick I may try an accuwedge for the rear. I just bought a ARMS #58 mod and believe with the extra weight it's get sloppier...

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a similar problem a while back with my new bushy lower .I bought a J & P pin for $15.00 never installed it because you would have to unscrew the back pin every time you take it apart .So I finaly ordered an Accu Wedge .Dropped it in and WoW! it tight just like I like it!. The best part is I can still take the gun down by removing the rear push pin. Accu Wedge may look cheese but it works .

Oh if you want the J&P Pin I'll let you have it for 15.00 or a good 20rd GI mag
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Was the front pin block loose as well? that is where my concern is. The Oring trick makes both quite tight....I thought about those pins....I was hoping that my new upper would have fit as well as my old lower..

Rob
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Was the front pin block loose as well? that is where my concern is. The Oring trick makes both quite tight....I thought about those pins....I was hoping that my new upper would have fit as well as my old lower..

Rob

No just the rear .If the front and rear pins are the same size the Jp pin should work in the front but I don't know if they are the same size. If you got a new bushy upper and lower perhaps the factory will help you I would check with them first if your front pin is loose. I'm not advertising the pin any where so I will probably have it awhile
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I read that it's subjective, but I can't stand the rattle personally. I wish the flattop fit as well as the A2, but I just bought a SIR and I'm sticking with the flattop...

Quoted:
As far as I know it really doesn't matter if the upper is loose in the lower.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
A little tip from your Ole'Uncle Harv ... There all loose. My Bushy lower/Upper has wiggle and so does my Colt. it does not effect anything. And I watched someone at a class pull the  charging handle on their weapon and have it jam as they were trying to lock the bolt back and the culprit was the AccuWedge that he had in it. got loose and jammed err up good. I'll take a little wiggle over reliability. It's a Carbine, not a custom Match Rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is not a carbine It's a 24 inch barreled RRA on a bushy lower It will shoot 1/4 moa at 100yds with  the right load and I love the accu wedge and if installed right I don't see how it could come loose it has direct pressure on the pin and the upper and lower
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I  would say,just about all upper and lowers has some play in them, doesnt hurt anything.
If, it bothers you,just add a accuwedge, it worked for me.

TG
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#14]
From 2-Gun

I don't see how it could come loose it has direct pressure on the pin and the upper and lower  

The Guy it happened to did'nt know either, but it only has to happen to me one time at the wrong moment.. you know how Murphy is..
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
From 2-Gun

I don't see how it could come loose it has direct pressure on the pin and the upper and lower  

The Guy it happened to did'nt know either, but it only has to happen to me one time at the wrong moment.. you know how Murphy is..

I still can't see it comming loose Fulton Is putting then in all there guns .I'll bet it wasn't installed correctly .I seen a  guy at a gun show try to install a hammer backwards .I'll bet that gun jammed also . Any part incorrectly installed is more prone to fail .I just can't see a properly installed accu wedge ever just falling out a closed reciever.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Okee Doky.....Accu-Wedge it is. I'm going to try the local gunshow around here on Friday to see if they have any.....thanks again

rob

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#17]
DAMN YOU ACCU-WEDGE.....just kidding, actually while if did take care of some of the rattle, it didn't get rid of it all.

Oh well Orings it is

Rob
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#18]
The accu wedge will remove the up and down play of the upper and lower .To remove the left to right play you will need to do the O ring in the front pin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#19]
2-guns; Yeah that's the route I took. I need to get a smaller O-ring for the front, but the one I have in there is doing it's job...

Thanks for the replies!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top