Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 7:35:23 PM EDT
Do they function 100%.  Are they easier to maintain/keep clean?  Are they just as good, better, weaker?   Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
For most uses they are no better than a regular carrier.  The original M16s had chromed carriers and they were removed from service because of issues with the harder chrome wearing the upper receivers, plus the problem of a shiny carrier showing through the ejection port, so they were all removed from military service.

Unless you're building a match rifle and want one of the precision carriers from JP or Young's Manufacturing you're best to just get an RRA 'enhanced' carrier.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Even though I don't think you implied this, none of JP's carriers are hard-chromed.  They are either stainless or anodized aluminum (LW).

In my experience, the carrier weight has more effect on function due to changing the action's cycle time (which puts different requirements on the magazine) than the carrier's finish.  

-z
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Even though I don't think you implied this, none of JP's carriers are hard-chromed.  They are either stainless or anodized aluminum (LW).

You're right, and now that I think of it I don't remember if the Young's carrier is stainless or chromed.  Either way, there's no need to spend money on a chrome carrier.  Also, with chroming you run the risk of nitrogen embrittlement if the metal isn't prepared correctly.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The LBC and the Young NM carrier are both hard-chromed.   MSTN's lightweight version of the Young NM is also HC'd.

-z
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
they are clean up faster and that is why I have one in my M4 there is not wear issues with upper
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You're right, and now that I think of it I don't remember if the Young's carrier is stainless or chromed.  Either way, there's no need to spend money on a chrome carrier.  Also, with chroming you run the risk of nitrogen embrittlement if the metal isn't prepared correctly.

Hoplophile  that would be hydrogen enbrittlement caused buy exess hydrogen reacting with harden steel and it only happens when the end product is not finished correctly (proper stress releaving)

Drow
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
they are clean up faster and that is why I have one in my M4 there is not wear issues with upper

Faster clean up is exactly why I want one.....lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top