Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 5:11:19 PM EDT
My next project is going to be a Varmint rifle, already have a Bushmaster lower & Armalite 1 piece mount. Scope will be a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20X, so the only thing left is a barreld upper. I want a 20" varmint weight bull stainless FLUTED, but am having trouble finding one. Neither Rock River nor J&T offers a 20" fluted. (I find the 24" too long & cumbersome) I see that M&A Parts offers the 20" fluted for $395 + $50 for fluting. Anyone out there have an M&A varmint upper or barrel? Are these made by Wilson as many other varmint uppers are? I currently have 2 other AR's, both a Colt & another Bushmaster but I have zero experience or knowledge of anyone with a Model 1 upper. Thanks for any suggestions on another supplier or comments on M&A Parts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Adco can flute a Rock River varmint barrel for you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out:  www.cmmginc.com/

They got DPMS bull uppers fluted.  I have heard really good things about DPMS bull barrels too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
What would be the cost? Any idea on turnaround?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
i have an m-a and a rra and and find rra's quality to be very good and m-a average to below average
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't go wrong with a RRA varminter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Looked at the DPMS on the  www.cmmginc.com/ website, kinda pricey but I don't mind paying for quality. I really like the blacked out flutes, never saw that before. Is the DPMS a .223 only chamber? Would like to be able to shoot 5.56 just to play, and shoot .223 when it's time to get serious. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Q. What chambers are used in DPMS barrels?
A. The standard military contoured barrels are chambered in 5.56 NATO, the DPMS Bull Barrels are chambered in .223 Rem.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#8]
White oak armament sells a fluted varmint upper, but I'm not sure of the length.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA varminters have .223 wylde chamber wich allows 5.56mm and .223.

Seriously, RRA varminters have the highest fit/finish/workmanship and you'd be hard pressed to beat the price.

Check these guys out, they'll flute your barrel
www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rraffl.cfm?page=rra
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Olympic makes a fluted stainless bull barrel. I had one on a varmiter upper that would shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards. Mine wasn't a SUM either, I'd bet a SUM will really shoot well.

Gary
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Olympic makes a fluted stainless bull barrel. I had one on a varmiter upper that would shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards. Mine wasn't a SUM either, I'd bet a SUM will really shoot well.

Gary

I had a black fluted SUM that was incredible..... but it was 1/10 and I really wanted to shoot heavier bullets, so I sold it.  If only they were making the 1/8 SUM's back then!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I would suggest you get a RRA 20 varmint upper from Adco everyone here seems to have only good things to say about Adco and shop before you buy send ADCO an email asking them how much to flute a barrel if you order a RRA upper from them .GA persision does the spiral flute perhaps ADCO will also .I should mention I didn't buy my upper from Adco because they where out of stock but If I had known what I know now I would have waited .The un-named Company I bought from had realy bad Customer service so if I had had a problem I would of been E Screwed.

Only buy from those with a n A+ rating. ADCO and Legal Transfer are two that come to mind I am sure there are others but check first .Also J&T dis.. get good reviews he's not a RRA dealer but those that buy his stuff seam well pleased.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top