Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 6:23:58 AM EDT
I need some help as I know absolutely nothing about these things. I want to have an FF rail system installed on my Armalite 16" midlength carbine and I don't know which one to purchase. I have narrowed my choices to the ones manufactured by Daniel Defense and Larue. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Edited to say: I had originally planned on going with the ARMS, but then I saw the pictures of the DD on here. I was going to pushase a DD, but then I saw pictures of the Larue on here. Now I am really in a quandary. Please hellllp meeee!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]

See sig line.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I would go with LaRue, since the quality seems to be as good or better than any other railed handguard, and it runs quite a bit cheaper, leaving you more $$$ for ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my DD FF forend. High quality and rock solid. That being said, the current offerings by LaRue look to be on par or better than any FF system on the market today, and at a lower price.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies and the pictures. The pics are giving me an I dea on what i want mine to look like.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#6]
both appears to be excellent products.  I will be an owner of both, in about a week or so.  I already have my DD, and should be receiving my Larue sometime late this week, or next week.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
While we are on the subject, who would be a good, reputable source to install either the DD or the LaRue FF?  I assume that installation requires removal of the front sight tower, barrel nut, etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
While we are on the subject, who would be a good, reputable source to install either the DD or the LaRue FF?  I assume that installation requires removal of the front sight tower, barrel nut, etc.

any of the dealers here on the site.  Check with Denny from GTS for the DD.  Check with Wes from MSTN for the Larue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
DD has come out with lower pricing,

Of course they did!  That's because I bought my DD 9.5 FSP a few months ago.  Typical luck for me.......

As for the FF handguard, does LaRue even make a rail that is compatible with the mid-length?  I thought they only made 7's and 12's....

ETA:  Nevermind, I see where ADCO can take a 12 and cut it down to fit......

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
O.K. I believe I am going to stick with the Daniel Defense FF. Thanks to all for the input .

My next question is if I send my upper in to ADCO for the FF install along with an Vortex flash suppressor install what would be the turn around time. I have a visa platinum credit card!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Currently LaRue does not make a mid-length handguard but ADCO has modified some rifle length rails to fit a middy.

You'll have to email Steve or Eric to find out their current TAT but they are usually very quick.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
O.K. I believe I am going to stick with the Daniel Defense FF. Thanks to all for the input .

My next question is if I send my upper in to ADCO for the FF install along with an Vortex flash suppressor install what would be the turn around time. I have a visa platinum credit card!!!

you should probably email them and ask.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks I will do so!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
LaRue

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer the DD, the LaRue that I have is that awful purple tinge
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Now that i've received the Larue.  I prefer the color of the DD.  It's a black, dark dark gray.  Where as, the Larue is black, but has a hint of purple in it.  I do prefer the finish of the Larue instead of the DD though.  It feels smoother.

It's not that purple, but you can tell, it's not deep black.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#17]
My midlength Troy handguards are a nce, deep black color...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]
larue makes midlengths?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm doin a Midlength upper with a DD 12.0 or a LaRue 12" model(whatever the name of that is)
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
larue makes midlengths?

nope.....

I know someone cut one down.  Think it was ADCO.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a Daniel Defense 9.0 (true mid-length) and 9.5 FPS, as well as 2 LaRue 7.0's.....I really like my Daniel Defense rail systems, but the LaRue rail system is better in every aspects from features, to prices, etc.  If I were going to do another mid-length I would go with the LaRue 12.0 and have it modified by ADCO.

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Jefff: how is the larue better? I have the DD 9.0 on my rock river arms midlength. I don't have the larue to do a comparison, but so far I can't find a shortcoming with the DD 9.0. It's really light, really solid and looks good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#25]
spooky,

-The Daniel Defense 9.0 costs around $360 (they don't have it listed on their website, but I believe that is the current price)......A LaRue 12.0 is $299.

-All 4 rails on the LaRue are 1913 spec....only the 12 and 6 o'clock rails on the DD are 1913 spec.

-The LaRue rail system is the only rail system on the market to have an anti-roll device that prevents the barrel or the rail system from every loosening or backing off.  (If you grab the area on the Daniel Defense rail at the area of where the delta ring should be, try to turn it clockwise and counter clockwise, you will notice that your DD rail will turn slightly, on the LaRue there is no movement)

-The LaRue rail system starts it life as a solid billit of aircraft aluminum

-The finish on the LaRue is nicer and more even

-The LaRue is within just over an ounce of the Daniel Defense rail (comparing 7.0 versions)

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing or bad mouthing the Daniel Defense rail system.  I have two of them and thing they are an awesome product, but all things considered I prefer the LaRue rail system when all things are considered (ie. price, features, weight, etc)....That is just my person experience, you can't go wrong purchasing either product.

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not purple in any way.....

C4

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20M4.jpg

I will second that...I have (2) LaRue 7.0's and neither are purple....It may just be the lighting from the flash on the camera.  Remember that pictures don't always depict the true color of an object.

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#27]
As to the question of color, my Larue BUIS is purple. I guess maybe they had a batch of products come up a little off color. Think of it like a fine P7M8.

Jeff, you're right on the twisting of the rails. I had never noticed that.  I think I was happer before I knew that! I bet that would throw off the point of impact if I were to forward mount an eotech.

I wonder why the 3 and 9 rails aren't made to spec. Practically speaking, what is the significance? I'm ordering some weaver rings to attach a G2 light. I assume it'll still go on? Hope so.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I wonder why the 3 and 9 rails aren't made to spec. Practically speaking, what is the significance? I'm ordering some weaver rings to attach a G2 light. I assume it'll still go on? Hope so.

The 3 and 9 rails are closer to the tube so that it is thinner in profile.  Makes it more comfortable to hold and lighter weight.

edited to add that it shouldn't cause any issues unless you want to attach a tango down forward grip to the side of your handguard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not purple in any way.....

C4

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20M4.jpg

From that pic, i can see the slight purplish in it.   As long as there isnt bright light, you cant really tell.  But as soon as you step into the sun or a bright room, you can notice the difference in color to the receiver and such.  Same with my Larue buis.

Here is another picture with the flash being a little closer.

The top if the DD.  As you can see, it's black/gray.  Now the lower is the larue.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody have a pic of a LaRue rail outside, without using a flash??

I'm not concerned how mine looks indoors, or in a pic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#33]
What kind of weight issue is between the two systems.  I mean a M-4 handguard weighs around 5.5ounces.  Does the extra weight of the larue or dd make any difference?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone know what it costs to get the LT 12" cut to fit the mid length? How about coating the LT? will it take to KG in a flat black or dark earth without having to bead blast it? Anybody know what the current price line on the DD is? I'm working on several builds and need to narrow down some of these options. Thanks guys.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It doesnt look that bad in real life.  The flash just amplifies the purpleness.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Once you hang grip panels off of it, you can't really see that much of it anyway...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesnt look that bad in real life.  The flash just amplifies the purpleness.

I know.  I have used mine extensively and have no finish problems.

I was just trying to subtly make a point.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:While we are on the subject, who would be a good, reputable source to install either the DD or the LaRue FF?  I assume that installation requires removal of the front sight tower, barrel nut, etc.
any of the dealers here on the site.  Check with Denny from GTS for the DD.  Check with Wes from MSTN for the Larue.

Wes builds to the end users requirements,  You spec the upper and he builds it. He will comment that certain other options mabye be better. I have two very good DD mid-length SPRish carbines using the DD9.0 built by Wes. I have only very positive comments on the DD FF Recce's that Wes has built for me.  He is curently building a 5.56M Recce Mod 1 for me using the LaRue 12" FF Foreend. This is first LaRue FF for me, but I expect it will meet the requiremants. If it doesn't I will post as such and Wes will (MSTN) will always meet their client's requirenmts and corect any problems.

Wes is foremost a PROFESSIONAL.
If you life depends on it, talk to Wes!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top