Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 1:18:14 AM EDT
Simple question:  Where on the lower rail do you perfer to have a vertical fore grip?

I just got mine, but so far I perfer to have it as close to the mag well as possible.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
i like mine about 3.5'' from the mag well. its really personal preference. put it where it's comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:20:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I like mine far forward. since I don't use it that much I have more realestate on the HG for normal use then the VFG with the light switch on it for inside CQB type stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]

I like mine close to the mag well...everyone likes it in a little different place.

Get one and play around with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Unmounted.  I haven't used one in quite awhile.  I find myself with front-of-magwell hold more times than not.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]

I like mine just foward of the mag well.  I am 5' 6" and the way I have it set up fits me well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The VFG is all about pulling the rifle back into the shoulder.

Keeping in mind that personal preference matters as well

Most of the people that have problems using one are placing it too far forward

Back as far as possible without interfering with mag changes is best...for most
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the 9 o'clock position so that I can look cool while sending crazy lead down range.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I think some people put them in too close, for my taste.

I have mine out a bit farther than most people, but I am pretty big guy. If it's too close, I fell all jammed up.

See here:

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Put mine in the middle of the carbine rail.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The VFG is all about pulling the rifle back into the shoulder.

Keeping in mind that personal preference matters as well

Most of the people that have problems using one are placing it too far forward

Back as far as possible without interfering with mag changes is best...for most

A persons size, or rather arm length, plays a role as well to accomplish this comfortably.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Unmounted.  I haven't used one in quite awhile.  I find myself with front-of-magwell hold more times than not.

Same here, it just doesn't do it for me.  My VFGs are sitting in a large cardboard box, along with a collection of grips, rail covers, handguards and stocks.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#13]

I just got mine, but so far I perfer to have it as close to the mag well as possible.

Same here.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay, so now how does everyone perfer to hold it?  I grip mine like I would the magwell (I use a VFG because I am left handed, making a magwell hold difficult under stress).  What I mean by this is I wrap my four fingers around the grip, but my thumb stays up on the RAS II.  I've tried placing mine to the center, (carbine length handguard) which felt fine, but seemed like it would be more fatiguing during long durations of firing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
One thing you guys might take under consideration as well, is this with a  fixed postban stock  vs collapsible stock.

Using a  post ban  non-collapsible stock or A2 stock,forend  grip close to magwell, using a collapsible, I'd have mine farther forward for tactical/close  range combat shooting.

Just a  thought.

TG
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#16]
It has alot to do with your stance.  If you use a CQB stlye stance with your shoulders square to the target and you pull your elbows in tight to your body you will want the VFG close to the mag well.  If you use a more traditional style off hand position you wil turn your body almost 90 degrees to the target and reach out further down the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree, it's all personal preference, but I keep mine a little forward of the magwell and hold it w/ four fingers and my thumb on the handguard.  I'm a lefty too, so it's easier than holding the magwell, but I actually find that too crowded/close anyway.  I don't know how to post a pic.  I could if I could.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#18]

It has alot to do with your stance. If you use a CQB stlye stance with your shoulders square to the target and you pull your elbows in tight to your body you will want the VFG close to the mag well. If you use a more traditional style off hand position you wil turn your body almost 90 degrees to the target and reach out further down the barrel.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top