Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 3:38:41 PM EDT
At first, I thought this was a really dumb question but when a lady at Rock River Arms couldn't answer it, I figured maybe someone with a bit more experience could. I'm going to get a RRA CAR M4 upper in a few days with the 16" stainless barrel. Now what I was wondering, is the Wilson who makes the barrels for RRA the same Wilson of 1911 fame (Wilson Combat) or some other manufacturer? If not, how do the "other" Wilson's barrels stack up against the competition.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The RRA/Wilson barrels are great, at least in my experience.  My Dad and I have two, both chromoly Mid Length barrels (preban).  They're the most accurate barrels I've used, at least on a carbine, especially for non"match grade".  Partly it may be due to the extra site radius, but I think the barrels are very accurate alone.  I can get MOA or better from mine, and my Dad's usually gets around MOA too.  I don't think you'll go wrong w/ a barrel from RRA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good. I'm going to go with the free-float mid-length handguards on mine as well. I like the extra sight radius and less chance of me touching a hot barrel on accident. I just hope going with the stainless rather than the chrome-moly won't weigh the gun down too much or really throw it off balance, but I doubt it. I'll try to post some pics when I get done with the rifle.
Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
ASA used to use wilson barrels (don't know if they still do).  They weren't worth a crap because ASA didn't ream the chamber/ drill the gas ports properly.  Wilson makes good barrel BLANKS but make sure you get the finished barrel from someone with a good reputation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]
So does Wilson just sell blanks? Or is it possible to get a complete barrel from them. If only blanks will they sell to anyone? And Finally how hard is it to turn a blank into a ready to go AR barrel assembly?

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
For blanks, you can try; ar15barrels.com. He is a member and sometimes poster here on the site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top