Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 6:13:49 AM EDT
I just saw a sight that sells Titanium Nitride coated bolts....sounds good but I am skeptical.  Has anyone ever dealt with one of these before?  How did they work out?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just saw a sight that sells Titanium Nitride coated bolts....sounds good but I am skeptical.  Has anyone ever dealt with one of these before?  How did they work out?
Thanks

Titanium baaaad...
Steel goooood...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one in this upper.  It didn't hurt operation, but I doubt it really made it any better.  I'm not sure if it was easier to clean or easier to see the filth so you cleaned it more.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Titanium coate high speed steel is common somewhat for tooling although I do not use it in my operation now.  I haven't seen the need for it for punch presses.  Referring to the 27th Edition Machinery's Handbook on P. 1011, it says about Titanium Carbide Coatings:

"Their high hot hardness enables them to operate at higher cutting speeds, but they are more brittle and resistant to mechanical and thermal shock."

This refers for TIC coated tooling.  As shooter, it really doesn't have any appeal to me.  For carbide disposable cutting tools, this and other coated tooling is great.  I would not recommend it for a bolt or other component it in a weapon unless I had a lot of rounds in the field with it which I do not.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Titanium firing pins are bad - they can break off at the tip.

As far as your question, I haven't heard any specific reasons not to go with a Ti coated bolt or bolt carrier, but it begs the question - WHY?  What's wrong with the standard one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If anything sucks, it's the color. It isn't tactical.

-Steve
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This refers for TIC coated tooling.  As shooter, it really doesn't have any appeal to me.  For carbide disposable cutting tools, this and other coated tooling is great.  I would not recommend it for a bolt or other component it in a weapon unless I had a lot of rounds in the field with it which I do not.

I think you mean "TiN" coating. Titanium Nitride coating has been around for many years in the racing community. It is used to fill very minute pores to prevent "stiction" in suspension parts. It can be produced in more than just the gold color. As far as coating the bolt carrier, there's not really any point because when used in metal to metal applications it wears off very quickly.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Titanium bolts....no.  Titanium nuts... yes.  I upgraded from the brass pair.

Scot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top