Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 2:22:33 AM EDT
I am currently considering getting a RRA 16" A4 mid length upper with a stainless barrel and a FF fore end.  I will be using this upper for targets mainly and possibly varmints.  I am guessing from the info I can find that the complete rifle will probably weigh in at about 8 pounds.  I would get the 16" Varmint but they don't offer a mid length bull barrel and I want the forged FSB.  I was also considering a 20" upper but would rather avoid the extra weight (I am estimating about a 1-1.5 pound difference).  I have seen many mid length set ups on this site but never this configuration.  This will be my first upper so I am a little hesitant about taking the plunge.  I am basically hoping to get a respectable target gun that is light enough to shoot for extended periods and does well all around.  Does it sound like I am on the right track?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd look farther.  RR is one of the pistol outfits that got into the rifle business buying parts and putting rifles together.  They don't seem to make much of anything themselves.  They have some hype but a mixed reputation after they fouled up the Hero's rifle project for 15.COM.  I'd stick with the ABC:  Armalite, Bushmaster, or Colt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
All of the RRA stuff I've gotten has worked for me so far and I don't know anything about the incident you mentioned but I will search.  I really don't think I can get what I'd like out of Colt.  Great stuff but I want something they don't seem to make.  Bushmaster does not offer the mid length stuff but I suppose I could get the barrel and fore end elsewhere.  I will research Armalite further.  I am looking to keep the cost down on this one and Armalite may work.  I guess I'm more concerned about the configuration making sense than the manufacturer at this point.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Rock River Arms M4 type carbine I purchased from Pete-in-NH.  

It was a very nice carbine and was equal to the quality of my Colt or Bushmaster.  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when I'm in the market for one.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
i have an rra and an m-a upper. the rra's finish is a lot better tha m-a. i have both on bushmaster lowers  the rra finish is right on and the m-a finish is slightly shinier. the m-a seems to fit a little tighter........
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Not looking to start a manufacturer argument here.  Just wondering if this set up sounds like it will be good for targets as well as being versatile.  Also hoping to find out if anyone has one like this and get general opinions on the Wilson HBAR (not Bull) stainless barrels.  I already feel like I'm sacrificing accuracy by not going with a 20" and the Wilson stainless barrels (HBAR, not Bull) RRA uses offer the capability to shoot .223 and 5.56 safely but appear to lack the Wylde chamber.  Not sure if that will leave something to be desired when punching paper but I know it will shoot whatever I can find cheap for practice.  Cost seems like it will be decent if I did the math right and what I would save on the upper could go towards a better trigger.  I guess I'm worried about this getting expensive because I am worried I may find out I prefer something totally different once I have it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Bookhound - I'm glad to hear it went well.  I am still looking but have only found one source for a mid length 16" chrome barrel so far.  It was ADCO and they were on back order.  I am aware of the group buy going on in the EE but do not want a muzzle break or 1/7 twist rate.  I will keep looking and contact ADCO to see what's up when I am ready to buy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Your config sounds good to me.

+1 for RRA and ADCOFirearms.com

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I have owned and shot them all been shooting ARs....since '67 ..Rock River is great choice...Steve @ ADCO has done a great job for me...imo that is a very good way to go....

You might also consider RR stainless 1 in 8 barrel and have the boyze at ADCO re-profile it for you
give it a medium profile or Govt...and take it down to 18"...use full length handguards..or FF with rails

Get you a little wt reduction plus a rate of twist for heavier bullets and enough barrel for them fly better..

That should give you a good rifle for paper punching, varmint type critters...and Homeland Defense
varmints...

imo

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had a Rock River Arms M4 type carbine I purchased from Pete-in-NH.  

It was a very nice carbine and was equal to the quality of my Colt or Bushmaster.  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when I'm in the market for one.  

ditto  for me

would one of thier 18"  varmint configurations work ??
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy RRA with confidence. They may have had growing pains, but they're very good now.

You configuration sounds good. I'm planning on a stainless midlength, turned down, under a YHM LW tube.

Again, barrel length is not related to precision. If anything, shorter barrels are intrinsically more precise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#12]
they offer an 18" Varmint midlength.
I had Steve at ADCO turn it down to .75 under the tube and  M-4 contour ahead of the front sight.
NICE.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I guess I will have to give ADCO a call when I'm set.  Sounds like they do more custom stuff than I thought.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 again for RRA.  Very good quality.  Both the RRA uppers my Dad and I have out shoot the Bushy I HAD.  Turning down a varmint barrel sounds very interesting.  You won't be disappointed w/ RRA.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a RRA carbine upper on my Armalite lower.  Fit was good and after about 2000 rounds have not experienced any problems.  I did send it to Wilson to have them install their tac brake as it had a fake suppressor on it.  For $79 it really enhances it and I recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#16]
i have a RRA 18 inch varminter from ADCO, love it.

here is some typical groups from 50 yards, this rifle outshoots me, i have done better but didnt keep the targets.

also have a RRA M4 tactical, love it too!

would not hesitate from ordering RRA or from ADCO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top