Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 6:14:48 PM EDT

Had the guards off and noticed this ^.  I hadn't noticed the fouling on the heat shields prior, so I looked to the gas tube...

It also shows blowby signs.  This upper has ~700 rounds through, and aside from some fail to feed errors that I've traced back to non-usgi steel 20's, has been good.  I don't have anything to compare to on hand, any input?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
mine does the same thing but never had any problems with it...its a pre ban ive been shooting for 11 years.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  I haven't replaced a tube yet so I wasn't sure how tight and complete the fit is supposed to be.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have problems short stroking? If so, it's a problem.

One way to lessen the amount a leakage is by adding Rockset in the void or area between the gas tube and the bore in the sight tower. Rockset is a type of clear glue and when it drys, it drys like glass. When the leaks are sealed, the bolt carrier velocity will increase, lessening the chance of short-stroking.

ls
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
With the non-standard mags the bolt was hanging up out of battery.  I read this as a slow bolt exacerbated by a rough mag.  So I guess I *may* be having a short-stroke issue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What normally happens is that carbon will build up and it will seal itself.  It's fine; that is NOT excessive at all.

-Troy

Clear on the reply.  I like things that can be fixed with the application of more ammo
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What normally happens is that carbon will build up and it will seal itself.  It's fine; that is NOT excessive at all.

-Troy

+1

Yeah, it'll smoke until it fixes itself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#8]
normal
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the same thing going on with my 20 inch bushie.  Actual gas tube is slightly discolored in the same area as yours. My heatshields have More carbon on them than yours, but this could be due to the fact that I have shot several thousand rounds and NEVER cleaned under them. Never had 'em off since I initailly clean the weapon when new....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top