Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 10:56:23 PM EDT
I have a bolt and carrier which I thought was a Colt but I'm starting to wonder as I have compared it to two other known Colt bolt/carriers and the engraving on the bolt only says "MP" and not "MPC"....were any Colt bolts marked only "MP"? The letters are larger than my other two Colt bolts...

The carrier does seem to be a Colt semi-auto bolt...no ring on the back, ramp cutout under the firing pin, the "C" mark on the body on the same side as the head of the cotter pin, etc.

Any clues?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
read carefully and see if the bolt has letters "MPC".  "MPC" is the correct marking for Colt bolts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
DOH! I ment MPC...not CMP (first post corrected)...I also have THREE Colt Bolt/Carriers...forgot to include my 6724....hehehe...

The bolt DEFINITELY only says "MP"...there no "C" anywhere....

As for the carrier, I figured it was a Colt bolt because of the "C" marking on the side (and it looks the same as my other Colt bolts)

Hey Paul, so does anyone else use just the "MP" marking or only Colt? The quality of the bolt does seem to be on par with my other Colt bolts...

I've gone through so many uppers before the 2000 CA Ban that I forgot where I got what parts from but I remember I used only buy Colt stuff (this is before all the other brands started coming out)...I think I never checked this particular bolt/carrier because I probably pulled it out of a complete Colt gun so I assumed it to be a Colt part.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info guys...I now feel confident that this bolt is indeed a Colt bolt. Now I got a build upper around it...it's a sickness I tell ya!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Back when Colt was the only maker of parts the need for a maker's mark was moot. The most recent Colt bolts have a date code, consisting of an extra letter, between the MP and C.

Yet again, M is for Magnetic Particle, P is for Proof Load.

The FN bolts I have seen (A2 parts) are marked MP N for National Aerospace.

I have a bolt, sold to me as a Colt (and looks like it), marked MPF, as described by BravoCompanyUSA above.  I had assumed it was of FN manufacture - any idea, Tweak?  The extractor is also marked with an F.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
BravoCompanyUSA - my apologies for not being clear in my post.  I did not purchase the bolt from you, though I certainly appreciate your business practices.  I am quite happy with the F marked bolt, just a bit curious about its origin.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Colt bolt that just has a "C" electro-penciled on it, go figure.  

Yeah, I know what your thinking, well you would be mistaken.  It came out of a new MT6400C rifle that was bought directly from a wholesale distributor so I am 100% sure it came out of the Colt factory that way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know of this one? It's a modified FA carrier only marking is the Y in a Circle.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As to its origin
If the BRBII is correct, it lists the following:

MP - Colt
MPC - Colt
MPD - Diemaco
MPF - FNMI
MPF - FNMI -subcontracted
MPF - FNMI -subcontracted
MPN - National Aerospace
MPR - Rock Island Arsenal

hope this helps !

Mine is marked MPF.  Perhaps FNMI subcontracted Colt - ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Sparksy,

That's a hippie peace sign.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Tweak, that's great info straight from the horse's mouth (FN)...definitely will refer people to that thread when the FN part discussions pop up!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anyone know of this one? It's a modified FA carrier only marking is the Y in a Circle.

members.aol.com/sparsky/car1.jpg

Mercedes!

Wow, those are rare.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Mercedes!

Wow, those are rare.

LOL....  

Seems I must've got something rare, no one knows where it came from.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top